Sunday 15 March 2015

Another High Mileage Week.

Tuesday 10th march 2015. All day ride to Dandy's Ford and back.
Simon joined me for another over 50 mile Tuesday ride. We had arranged to meet with a few friends and set off at 9 a.m. to meet them at Crawley Pond. The sun was burning off the early morning mist and soon it was another bright and sunny day though the air still had that chill factor.
From CP nine of us headed south west to King's Somborne and along the Test Valley to Mottisfont. We climbed the hill out of Dunbridge the others leaving me trailing but I soon caught up with them again. We were joined by another rider as we crested  the ridge at Awbridge. After crossing the A27 we were rewarded for our hill climbing efforts by a fast downhill section to East Wellow. 
We took a small lane past the church of St Margaret's and were shortly afterwards at the Cafe in Dandy's Ford Lane.

Florence Nightingale's Grave.


Churchyard of St Margaret's Church, East Wellow, 
I was feeling a bit peckish now so I opted for a bacon butty to go with my coffee whilst others tucked into a very good selection of cakes.

We sat outside in the sunshine overlooking the lake and found it hard to get going again as we all seemed to be enjoying the chat. However we did eventually manage to do so. We took a different route back to Awbridge through Newtown and then descended into the Test Valley through Kimbridge. Three of us headed south whilst the others took the road back to King's Somborne.

Our route took us past another place of interest; the church of St. John the Baptist on the Flexford Road. In the churchyard there are two tombstones for the same person, namely Charles Smith, a poacher. To find out more view this web site:


Our friend left us as we crossed the Chandler's Ford to Hursley road and in Hiltingbury Simon and I paused for a snack to fuel us over the final leg home. Not wanting the ride to end too quickly I persuaded Simon to test his fitness by riding over the downs through Owslebury to Cheriton and thence home. Fine for me with my bottom gear of 26" but a bit tougher for him on his 45".

To console him I took a couple of pictures of him with his Armstrong in Cheriton. Here they are:






Simon with his 1955 Armstrong.


Our map and data for the day.
Another good ride done & dusted.


Thursday 12th March 2015. HCMF Meet at The Star, Bentworth.

Solo ride for me today as Simon was busy with other matters. 
However I did manage to ride a little way with Jane when I caught up with her in the Candover Valley. She took a more direct route from Preston Candover to the pub. We both enjoyed seeing the daffodils emerging along the roadside to replace the now diminishing snowdrops and the cawing of the rooks as they were going about their nest building.
The road from Axford to Herriard has been patched removing the worst of the potholes, but I noticed that in one or two places the patches are already showing signs of wear.
As I rode along the road side of Lasham Airfield I was  passed by a number of cars going far too fast for the conditions so I was very wary as I approached the turn to Lasham Village. Rightly so it seems since although I had signalled in good time that I was turning, still had my right arm out and had moved to the centre of the road a car passed me on my right. Fortunately I realised he was coming by and did not turn. Henry, one of the Alton CTC members was coming from the opposite direction and witnessed the incident. He kindly asked me if I was OK.
We rode together for a while and on climb to the village we were passed by a fast moving cyclist going the other way. He shouted a greeting to me using my name. I thought it was my friend Chris but it seems it was not as he was busy with other matters. Who was it? If it was anyone reading this perhaps they will let me know.
We were soon at The Star where we found a good number of other riders all waiting to be served their meals. It seems that the pub was not geared up for our arrival as one of the staff had gone for an interview.
Great to see a number of people I'd not seen for some time including David and Ray. I did not order any food as there seemed to be a long wait for it so after a chat and a pint I headed  off for a late lunch at home
Here is my map of my ride for the day from which you can see i found an interesting way home through Medstead, Four Marks and Ropley.




Saturday 14th March. Alton CTC ride to Horndean.


When Simon and I realised that the Alton CTC moderate paced ride was starting from Ropley we thought it would be a good opportunity to join them and enjoy another ride into unfamiliar territory. We met them outside the Ropley Village Hall just before the start time of 13.30. It was good to meet with more of our cycling friends and make a couple of new ones including Mandy who was riding her first ride with the group. 

The group about to set off.
Simon greeting Mandy.

David was our leader for the day and he had planned a good if rather hilly route for us. 

Here is my map of my route for the day including the ride to and from Ropley.



The day was grey and chilly due to a very cold easterly breeze and I soon realised that I only just had enough layers. Incidentally I was the only one in North Hants strip. 

My North Hants Strip.

The first couple of climbs put me in my usual place as "Laterne Rouge" but I was never far behind so thankfully the group did not have to wait long for me to catch up! The Descent to Clanfield was fast and furious and most exciting. Unfortunately Mark picked up a puncture and we paused in front of a pub while he replaced the tube. All done in less than 10 mins. Paul took the opportunity to pop into the pub to find out the score in the Wales v Ireland rugby match. I was recording the match at home so didn't want to know.

We made good time along the valley and were soon over the ridge and mixing it with rather busy traffic for a short way until we got to the Garden Centre. Delicious cakes on offer here, I had a great lump of bread pudding, a favourite of mine ever since my childhood when a kind neighbour, known as Auntie Wackle, treated us with her tasty version.

The sun peeped out for a while as we made our way back to Buriton, but it still seemed to be very cold until we put the wind behind us. Near the Queen Elizabeth Country Park I had a problem with the fastening to my helmet coming undone so I stopped to fix it. The others unaware of the problem carried on but Simon and Mark waited for me at the top of the hill and we rejoined the others at the foot of the steep hill into Buriton.

We were now well on our way home but we managed to get a split in the group with some riders following me through Frogmore into East Meon while the others took the route via Oxenbourne Lane. Reunited once more at the western edge of the village we "enjoyed" two more climbs, the first over the ridge to the A272 the second to Privett.

We crossed the A32 and in the village of West Tisted. Simon and I decided to take the shortest route to Ropley whilst the others went via Smugglers lane. When we reached the main road we found several of them paused at the junction! Presumably the others had headed for Alton and beyond. We said our goodbyes and thanks to David and were soon home. I enjoyed a nice relaxing bath accompanied by a glass of "red".

Thanks David for a great ride and a good day out. Thanks too for those others taking part and a big welcome to Mandy who acquitted herself very well. Obviously it was not her first ride ever!

The  Alresford Groupetta Leader Board for the week.


Gridironman.

1 comment:

  1. I have now heard from Rupert Jones an Alton CTC member that he was the mysterious rider who greeted me last Thursday. Thanks Rupert for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete