Sunday 15 February 2015

Ton Up Kid Medal won by Simon Turner who only had it for a couple of days!

Tuesday 10th February. I missed riding with my friends as I was having a new fence put in on one side of my garden. Simon however clocked up 51 miles and Sarah 39 so I was keen to get out on Thursday 12th to clock a few miles myself. After what seemed like a never ending string of email messages Simon and I were the only ones who could actually make it.
I had initially planned a route to show others some new roads and we decided to stick with it.
We first headed to Itchen Abbass, which had originally been our planned meet point, before turning up Northington Road. (My devious way of getting to the top of Mollie's Dismount without having to toil up it).
At the foot of the hill at Totford there is these signs:

No wonder people get lost! I have since reported the state of the signs to the Hants. C.C.
The next few miles to Axford were easy going and we made good time. When we got there we discovered the road to Ellisfield was closed. We decided to chance our luck that we would be able to get through. There was a lot of work going on in three separate places with the frayed edges of the road being replaced but with the help of the workers we were able to get through.
Our first target was the Avenue G.C. at Lasham. We arrived to find there were lots of grey haired customers already there and others queuing to be served. (So we fitted in quite well!).
Bearing in mind our last experience here we ordered one Belgian Bun to share. 

The Great Belgian Bun.

Another cyclist, waiting to be served, spotted that we were sharing and felt that that was a wise decision, but he questioned the fair division of the bun as Simon seemed to have a larger portion of the cherry. Well he did pay for it!
This cyclist (Steve) had ridden from Crondall with a friend and was a recently joined member of Fleet CTC.

Time was slipping by so we got moving once again and took a zigzag route to The Angel, Privett. We passed Roger heading in the opposite direction near Bentworth.
At the pub we found a modest number of riders, but we were quite late. I had HCMF subs pressed upon me by three members who did not know I was no longer treasurer. I promised I would pass them on. We had a nice pint before eating a quick snack outside and planned a longer route home to try to get Simon's mileage for the week to over the magic Ton.

I calculated that a loop through West Meon, Warnford and Wheeley Down would probably do it. Then at the last minute I deviated a little more by going through Privett village and down onto the A272 this proved to be the deciding factor as by the time we got to the ford, almost home, Simon had just clocked up enough miles. 


The Happy Medallist!

When I arrived home I had just managed 50 miles myself.


Saturday 14th February. Groupetta Ride ( ?) to South Warnborough
With Simon being away for the weekend and Sarah being busy with family matters Paddy and I agreed to ride to South Warnborough for lunch. Paddy suggested an interesting route. Unfortunately on Saturday morning Paddy had to cry off due to a couple of emergencies so I set off on my own at 9.20. 
I followed our planned route via the Candover Valley to Cliddesden. Lots of snowdrops in the hedgerows all along the way.

Hedgerow Snowdrops.
From Cliddesden I took a lane across to the A339 and rode down almost to the M3. Turned Eastwards but instead of taking Paddy's suggested route to Tunworth I continued to Mapledurwell where I encountered a small flood. I managed enough speed to freewheel through it to avoid pedalling and getting my feet wet. 

Floods in Mapledurwell.
The weather was not to bad at this juncture with some warm sunny spells but it was gradually getting more overcast. 
I took a bit of a detour along roads I'd not ridden before from Greywell to enter Odiham via the A237 and an underpass which links with the Old London Road. As I was getting hungry now my aim was to get to the Village Shop in South Warnborough. I found a way through Long Sutton and was soon at the shop where I was served very speedily with a delicious all day breakfast and a cup of tea, all for the sum of £5, exceedingly good value.
Unfortunately it had now started to rain and I set off up Froyle Lane with creaky after lunch legs wishing I was home. After half a mile I discovered I'd left my map in the Shop and had to turn back. the second time i climbed out of the village I found it much easier. I had only ridden this lane once before in the opposite direction and found it very peaceful and rural, I think it would look lovely in the sunshine. It leads to the ridge, not far from the village of Lower Froyle, and to the Golden Pot. I was now on much more familiar ground and sped for home in the now steady light rain. It eased for a while and I decided that as I still needed to add a few more miles to reach my 50 target I would go through Medstead and Four Marks before taking that lovely fast descent into Ropley. 
By the time I got home I had achieved my goal of over 50 miles and a "Ton" for the week.  Was that medal now in my grasp?


Just to make sure I'd done enough to wrest the medal from Simon I added another 21.5 miles on Sunday 15th February.

I wanted to see how the Spring 50 was going so headed in the reverse direction around part of the northern half of the course. I was passed by a large group of riders from Odiham heading for home as I climbed Armsworth Hill and already I was meeting riders who appeared to be on the Spring 50. Near Bentworth I passed Bob who must have been making good time. I also met and exchange greeting with other riders many known to me.
As I was returning home through Alresford i thought I spotted my friend Caroline outside Tiffins', I pulled up just past the junction with the B4306 and as I did so two other riders also stopped. They had overshot the junction too thinking I was on the Spring 50 and had followed me. The lady fell to the ground but was not hurt and I soon directed the pair the right way up Jacklyn's Lane.
By this time Caroline had disappeared, but I soon discovered by text messages that she and Ian had gone to the Courtyard Cafe for refreshments. I invited them to call on me before they went home and they eventually did so. We had a real nice catch up chat as I'd only seen Caroline once this year and Ian not since before Christmas.

For the record here is my map of the day.



My total for the week just short of 125 miles. YIPPEE!

GRIDIRONMAN.


No comments:

Post a Comment