Sunday 1 February 2015

Breezy Riverdown Circuit

After last week's fabulous century plus I barely broke my duck this week. i missed riding on Tuesday due to grandfatherly duties and Thursday was horrible and wet. I had planned to ride with Graham on the Winchester CTC Intermediate ride on Saturday 31st but when I woke I found it had snowed in the night and was threatening to do so again, I contacted Graham and told him I was not joining the ride. He was in two minds about cancelling the ride, but in the end he decided to go ahead. He tells me that he and five others had a good ride despite the weather and that two more joined them for lunch at the pub. (Kathy & Kevin?).

Sunday 1st February.
I found I had an unexpected window of opportunity before lunch so got out on Sporty to register at least  a few miles in the week. There was no time to consult with either Paddy or Simon as I shot off to make the most of the winter sunshine. It was very breezy but that was not a problem at first as I rode to Bishop's Sutton and up Scrubbs Lane to the Cheriton battlefield site.  The lane into Cheriton was a bit mucky past the dairy farm so I was glad I was mounted on Sporty with mudguards. Once through the village I climbed the steepest hill of the day to Hinton Ampner. 
A few ramblers here enjoying the day too.
As I rode along the valley to  Brockwood I could hear the wind howling in the trees on the hills above me and as I turned up Riverdown I felt it on my right hand side trying to push me into the gutter. It was quite scary as I passed gaps in the hedge which were giving me some shelter. Just after the chicken farm I was caught by a rider from Four Marks on a mountain bike. He was heading for Droxford before returning home. I suggested that he might like to try the old railway line from Droxford to Meonstoke and West Meon for his return journey. We chatted as we rode together to the top of the hill where we parted.
I paused a while to enjoy the view to the north and take this picture of Hinton Ampner House. 

Hinton Ampner House from the Southdowns.

The next two miles to The Milbury's was very hard work as I was riding almost directly into the wind and I was on the top of the exposed ridge, it was easier once I got to the shelter of the wooded section.
From here it was an easy ride home. near Cheriton i was passed by about 30 scooters who were heading for the Flower Pots.
During my ride |I saw over 20 other cyclists, a couple of them twice. They seemed to be doing a similar circuit but in the opposite direction.
I was home almost on schedule for Sunday lunch, Hunters' Chicken with roast spuds, parsnips and mixed veg, I certainly had worked up a good appetite for it.



A good opportunist ride averaging only 10.9 m.p.h., but it was quite hilly and very windy.

Gridironman.














No comments:

Post a Comment