Sunday 4 January 2015

New Alresford to Popham Airfield and back

Sunday 4th January 2015.
An unexpected change in family plans allowed me to sneak out for my first ride of 2015.
Too late to contact Simon as I needed to get going immediately, hope he will forgive me! 
I thought I'd head north for a change and decided to go to Popham Airfield to have a coffee in the clubroom.
Just after I left Old Alresford I was passed by two riders. One male, one female. I am not sure if they were together or not but they were both going at a good rate with the lady about 100 metres behind the gent. They continued up the hill towards Swarraton whilst I forked right to take the alternative way to the Candover Valley. 
I descended Spiers Lane to Chilton Candover and just as I was leaving the village the surprised lady rider came past me again. "How did you get here? You must know some thing I don't" she said. I replied "I know a shorter route of course!" She soon disappeared into the distance.
The mist got thicker as I climbed towards Dummer and it seemed colder too. I crossed the A30 and was soon through North Waltham and up the hill to Popham Airfield which was shrouded in mist.

Grounded!
When I pulled up outside the clubroom I spotted another bike outside which I thought I recognized as Caroline's. However  as there was no sign of Ian's bike I thought maybe I was mistaken. Lucky for me I wasn't. Caroline was inside enjoying a light lunch. I joined her and had a coffee and piece of fruit cake.
It was really lovely to see Caroline and exchange news and gossip but all too soon it was time for both of us to make our way home. We rode together for the first mile or so before our ways parted.
I took my usual route from the bridge under the A303 home, via West and East Stratton, up the short but steep pitch to the top of Northington Down and then a fast descent of Mollie's Dismount.
I was home soon after 2 having covered almost 28 miles.
A decent average speed for the day of 11.6 mph and surprisingly two personal bests on Strava despite the fact I was riding Sporty.
Ride and Data for the day.
Only the one ride to report today as I included last Tuesday's ride as the final one of 2014 the other day.

By the way Les Frewin, the winner of Guess My Miles, has donated his winnings to Naomi House. Thanks Les!

GRIDIRONMAN.




No comments:

Post a Comment