Wednesday 31 December 2014

My last two rides in 2014. Solo to the Departure Lounge and to West Meon for coffee with another Pedaller, Simon.

Saturday 27th December 2014.  Solo to the Departure Lounge.
Had considered joining the Winchester CTC afternoon ride, but as no details of the ride's destination having been published and with a bright sunny morning and cloudy afternoon forecast I decided to make the most of the good weather and go for a solo ride. My thought was to go to the Departure Lounge for coffee.
First I had to get some milk and the Saturday Times for "her indoors" to enjoy whilst I was out, so I popped into town on Sporty to do that. 
I was soon on my way through the town again and through Old Alresford heading for the climb up Lower Lanham Lane to Upper Wield. As I climbed the hill I decided to take the small lane on the left which is a cul-de-sac, signposted Armsworth Hill. I wanted to see for myself what is at the top of it. There are several large residences up there and also a farm. It is a beautiful situation for a house with extensive views over the countryside and very quiet being a quarter of a mile from the country road.. I kept expecting someone to appear and ask what I wanted but no one did. 
I returned to the road and climbed once more to the top of the ridge. Passed through Upper Wield and skirted Lower Wield to get to Bentworth. I took the lane past the Sun Inn towards Shaldon. I then followed the A339 down the valley towards Alton and  the Cafe. I was ready for a cappuccino and a  mince pie. One of the other customers chatted to me for a while, it turned out he is also a cyclist but having had an accident recently was not on his bike today. We exchanged yarns about various rides and he gave me some ideas for future ones. 
Also there were two lady cyclists from Fleet. Mother and daughter out for a post Christmas Ride to get some fresh air too. We had a nice conversation and it turned out the mother who has only recently joined the Fleet CTC was at the HCMF lunch as a guest of one of the members. A small world! 
Here are details of my data and map for the day from which you can see I took the scenic route rather than the direct one back to Alresford, climbing Snode Lane, always a challenge at 8%, and through Theddon and Wivelrod to Medstead. 

Note the little spur on Armsworth Hill that was my investigation of the little lane.
The lane from the end of Lymington Bottom to the A31 in Ropley, North Street, was very mucky and flooded in a couple of places lots of pot holes too, I would recommend the alternative route through Lyeway and Ropley village centre.
A gentle ride at a modest pace, it was good to be out in the country with the many small birds that were thronging the hedgerows and the rooks and jackdaws making lots of noise in the air.

Tuesday 30th December 2014.  To West Meon for coffee with another Pedaler, Simon. Our route inspired by one of  PinkPal's training routes.
With most riders having other commitments I was only able to find one other Pedaller to join me for the last ride of the year. 
We were however somewhat cautious because of the overnight sharp frost of about 7 deg. C and the fog and agreed not to start until midday. I almost missed the time as my watch stopped at 11 a.m. and I only discovered the correct time at 11.45 a.m.
When I arrived at Simon's he was already out on his mountain bike testing it up and down the Shepherds Down.
We had no firm plan so decided to try the usual route to the South through Tichborne, through Cheriton and up the hill through Kilmeston.
The hoar-frost on the trees and hedges making a real winter wonderland. 
Hoar-Frost by the road to the ford. 
The road in New Cheriton was covered in slushy ice for a few yards. There must be a small spring there as it never seems dry. The rest of the way to Rooks Grove Farm was dry and passable without any problems. We decided to take the descent of Wheeley Down with caution as the road was wet in places and with ice on the edges of the road. As Simon commented we hardly went any faster down than we would normally do coming up!

A mile or so on the A32 to West Meon where we popped into the Springs the little coffee shop behind the village shop. (Not included on PP's route!)
We had a very interesting chat with another customer, an ex policeman, about cycling and cars whilst I devoured a piece of Christmas cake and Simon a chocolate brownie.
Once refreshed we rejoined the training route and headed for home via Brockwood Bottom. Passing Joan's Acre, Simon says it should be Jean's Acre.
The entrance to Joean's Acre.

At Hinton Ampner we took advantage of the lovely sunshine to have a photo shoot. Here are the results:

Simon says "Let me out!!"

Why am I waiting?

We exchanged banter about bicycling with two ladies and a gent who came out of the church before continuing with the route through Cheriton and across the Battlefield Site to the A31 roundabout near Ropley. Once again we were very cautious riding down the steep hill by the farm. In all these downhill sections I took the sensible precaution of  letting Simon go well ahead so I could stop if he fell off!! Well he did have nice fat tyres on his mountain bike.

Not content with just riding the shortest way home I joined my mate climbing over White Hill. This descent was fine and I achieved my top speed of the day here 27 m.p.h

Here is a different style of map to my usual one, using RidewithGPs and a variant of the OS mapping. 
 
OS Map.


How does it compare with the usual one:

Garmin Map and Data.

I was home just after 3 p.m. Perfect timing as it was starting to get colder with the threat of more frost. A warm bath and a good cooked dinner and I am almost ready to go again. On second thoughts, perhaps not.

My Challenge for Forever Angels.
I had pledged to ride at least 3,000 miles in aid of Forever Angels and I am pleased to say I have done well over that. My final mileage is 3,464 (97 miles more than last year) and the winner of the sweepstake is.......................

Wait for it..................

Les Frewin one of the HCMF riders. He wins £6.60
Second and third are : Ian Douglas well known to most of you as that witty Scottish git and Eddy a lady who works in the Save the Children shop in Eastleigh. They each win  £3.30.

The grand total so far raised for Forever Angels is £347 with still one or two promised donations to come.

MY FINAL STATISTICS FOR THE YEAR.


Summary Miles No. of Rides Average Length
Winchester Easy Rides 448 11 41
Hares & Tortoises 0 0 0
Midweek Fellowship 906 28 32
Barrie's Padalling 279 7 40
Independent 1344 44 31
Special Events * 287 5 57
Alton 200 5 40
Total 3464 100 35

* Special Events.
Miles
Early Season 50 51.95
Naomi House 59.6
WintonMediate 69.88
Plain Cycle Challenge 38.61
Gridiron 67.34
287.38
A great year of cycling with my various friends. Especially memorable were the BBQ with the Alton Group



Winchester CTC at the Alton CTC BBQ.

and the Gridiron which I rode with my friends Sarah and Simon on my lovely birthday bike Posh.


At the end of a record breaking Gridiron. (My seventh)
HAPPY NEW YEAR AND GREAT CYCLING IN 2015.
GRIDIRONMAN

No comments:

Post a Comment