Sunday 18 January 2015

Pedallers & Alresford Groupetta Rides


A much less frantic week than last week. I did mange to fit in two rides, dodging the worst of the weather and finding some nice sunny days even if they were a little on the chilly side.

On Tuesday 13th January I rode to Crawley Pond to join the Pedallers. Only David & Carol and Brenda were waiting but Chris appeared soon afterwards having been held up in traffic in Hursley.

Brenda suggested we aimed for Annie's in Michelmersh for coffee. We took the route of least resistance via Kings Somborne and Mottisfont. It was bright and sunny but the forecast cloud and rain could be seen approaching from the west.  It arrived while we were just finishing our coffee/tea and cakes.

When it eased we set off on our return trip, Brenda choosing to return home via the Test valley whilst I led the rest past the Bear & Ragged Staff to Braishfield via Michelmersh Village. 

In Braishfield we split up with David & Carol climbing over the ridge to Kings Somborne, Chris heading for Romsey and I through Slackstead to Standon. the rain had stopped completely by now and by the time I reached Crab Wood I had dried out in the sunshine.

I took the Sarum Road into Winchester and thence home. 

Here are my map and details for the day:



A very enjoyable day despite the heavy shower.

Saturday 17th January Simon was leading the Winchester CTC Intermediate ride in place of Daren who is unwell. (Get fit soon Daren). The weather started with frost and some slippery surfaces but Simon rode into Winchester to the usual RV. Unfortunately no one else turned up so he rode back alone to meet Sarah, Paddy & I, as arranged, at the top of Broad Street.

His route took us through Medstead and Lasham to the Avenue Garden Centre where thee of us indulged ourselves in the largest Belgian Buns I've ever seen. They defeated us!!! Simon more wisely had chosen a more modest sponge cake.

The lane down to Shalden was in very poor condition with pot holes all over the road in places. Fortunately only for a short way. We were soon down the steep hill onto the B3349 and into Alton. 

Next we rode along the Old Winchester road and through the underpass into Chawton.  we paused by Jane Austen's house for a picture shoot. 

The Alresford Groupetta by Jane Austen's House.
(Sporty and my shadow making up the group)
Shortly after taking this picture whilst negotiating the shortcut past the Chawton village church with the sun in my eyes I totally missed spotting a large fallen tree log, hit it and tumbled in a heap. Fortunately neither Sporty or I seemed to have suffered any significant damage though I was feeling rather shaken. Once I had recovered we started off again, but then Simon had problems with a mudguard so we had another short delay while he fixed that.

The A32 was busy and we were a little concerned about drivers approaching us from behind being dazzled by the bright sunshine.  Fortunately we only had to go as far as The Angel near Privett.

Here we had a very enjoyable lunch and chat before heading back home to Alresford. We took the direct route through West Tisted and Ropley. In Bishop's Sutton Sarah & Simon chose to go the shortest route home over White Hill and I decided to go with them. Paddy being sensible took the easier option through the town.

My Garmin map for the ride has not recorded the route correctly but the mileage data seems to be correct, so I have retraced the route on RideWithGps for my records.




I greatly enjoyed the day especially as I had not ridden with Sarah and Paddy for some time so it was good to catch up with their news and ambitions. 
Paddy is riding his first event of the year in two weeks and Sarah will be riding LeJog in September so she is starting her training programme in earnest now.

Many thanks to Simon for his unusual route and to all three for their company and concern when I tumbled to the ground in Chawton.

Gridironman.






No comments:

Post a Comment