Sunday 11 January 2015

A Busy Week On and Off the Bike.


On Monday 5th January I handed over my post as registration Officer for Winchester CTC to Marian., on Wednesday 7th Simon and I checked the route for the Early Spring 50 mile challenge, on Thursday I had an interesting  ride with Don Anderson and on Friday 9th I handed over my role as HCMF Treasurer to Bob. Then to finish off the week in style, if not in distance, I rode to Kings Worthy to help with the serving of refreshments to riders on completion of  the Watership Down.

Monday 5th January
Marian came to me to jointly deal with the December list of Winchester CTC members and to take over the post of Registration Officer. We had a bit of "fun" transferring the ownership of the Mail Chimp utility, but otherwise the job went smoothly and Marian is now firmly in the post. 

January 7th 2015.
Simon joined me on a ride to check the northern loop of the Early Spring 50 mile ride.
We left home just after 10 a.m. and rode to Ovington to check that the work on Caroline's Ford had been completed and that the road was open again. it was. Much improved and the water quite low at present.
Here is our Map and Data for the day:



With Simon's help I amended some of the written instructions to make them clearer and I have sent these to Sue Coles for use on February 15th. Sue has since amended the details from my suggestions and those of Gary who checked the southern half of the course., coincidentally on the same day.


Thanks Simon for your valuable assistance.

Thursday 8th January.
It was a very wet start to the day and I had anticipated not riding, but by 1 p.m. the sun was shinning brightly and Jean suggested I should make the most of it. I changed in a flash and by 1.30 I was at the English Partridge in Bighton. On my way I was held up by one of our arch enemies, a farmer showering the road with hedge trimmings. I picked my way past him and shortly afterwards passed Charles on his way home. 
At the pub I only spotted one bike outside and feared that only one rider was within. I was wrong there were about a dozen in there. Some had parked their bikes on the other side of the pub, others had come by car. 
I had a pint with them before we all left to seek our various routes home.
I had mentioned that I would not be going straight home as that would only be a total ride of 6 miles so Don asked me to join him on a roundabout route towards Winchester. I agreed. here is the map of my route from which you will be able to see that we crossed the Candover Valley and went via Woodmancott and East Stratton to Itchen Abbas.


We chatted for most of the way, about many things, most interesting was when we discussed some of our families' connections with the first world war. 
In Itchen Abbass by chance I met Caroline a very good friend from my days volunteering at Naomi House. We had a short but good chat before Don and I continued to Avington. here our ways parted and I headed back to Alresford while Don went west.

Thanks Don for a most enjoyable ride.

Friday 9th January.
I divested myself of another role, that of HCMF treasurer. I drove over to Bob's home taking with me the records and funds of the Fellowship. Had a coffee and a piece of delicious Christmas Cake before passing over the goodies including a cheque for the funds.
Now I only have one volunteer job to deal with that of Treasurer for the Alresford Branch of Save the Children.

Sunday 11th January.
Having been unable to take part in the Watership Down Audax this year I thought I could at least help a little and repay the club for the fun (?) I have had on this event in the past. So after lunch I rode over there and helped with clearing tables and washing up. 
Among the ladies there in the kitchen were Marian and Caroline and Don was doing sterling work with the Brevet Cards and timing along with several other folk I do not know. 
I spotted and chatted with a number of friends from Alton, Winchester and Southampton CTCs and everyone seemed very happy with their day. It had certainly been one of the best regarding weather.
I could only stay a liitle while but I was happy that it had helped at the busiest time. Just before I left, Sue and Stephen arrived, having ridden most of the course after starting the event earlier in the day. Stephen was wearing one of the new Winchester CTC tops. The first I'd seen Very smart!

Just for the record here are my map and data for the day.

A most satisfactory week.

Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment