Sunday 1 December 2013

Grey Thursday and Sunny Saturday.

This week two rides very different in nature. On Thursday 28th Nov I rode solo to the HCMF meet at the Three Horseshoes, East Worldham and on Saturday 30th Debs led us on a very innovative route to lunch at the Black Swan in Monxton.

Thursday 28th November 2013.
A very grey day but at least largely dry and not too cold. 

Simon was unable to join me, so I chose a roundabout way of getting to the RV that suited me.

I headed first to Medstead but instead of the obvious way through Bighton I climbed Armsworth hill and then followed the ridge through Hattingly. Next I descended to Alton through Wivelrod and Theddon. Much nicer than the hill through Beech which has lots of metal covers and potholes.

I next took the much travelled route of Alton CTC through Holybourne, passing Treloars School and College. (So that's where they are now having left Upper Froyle!)

When I reached the turn to East Worldham through Wick I decided it was too early for lunch and carried on to Binsted. Here I paused to visit the grave of "Monty". The famous WW2 Field Marshall, Viscount Montgomery of Alemain.
Binsted Church.

Monty's Grave.
From the Church I descended to Kingsley. Bad move, I now had to reclimb the ridge to reach the pub. Oh well, it's only 14%! Still the trip down the lane was also one down memory lane as we had ridden this way on my BBQ ride at the end of August, rather nicer weather then!

A decent number of members present, but I was, the only representative from South Hampshire.

After lunch I took the line of least resistence and headed for home via Farringdon. Brightstone Lane, Four Marks and Ropley.

Here is the map and data of my ride:

Saturday 30th November.
Drove to Kings Worthy with Sporty on the rack. Left my car at my Daughter's and joined Jenny outside the Goodlife where we waited for Debs and the group. Soon after 9.30 they arrived, in the peleton were Karen, Mary, Margaret & Paul, Graham, Simon and Sheelagh.

We made good time through Stoke Charity and Hunton and were soon across the A30. Shortly after passing under the A303 a couple in a car stopped to ask the way to Popham Airfield. While I gave them what I thought were clear instructions on how to get there, (four times!) the others rode on. This turned out to be lucky for me for as I rode through the woods a deer crossed the road about 30 yards in front of me. It was followed by a second one with a limp. It stopped right in the middle of the road. Looked at me and thought "Oh no, a crazy cyclist, I'd better high tail it" and vanished into the undergrowth.

As I  neared the last little hill I could see some of the others climbing it about half a  mile ahead. I eventually caught up with them just as they arrived at H's for coffee. Here we were joined by David Foster.

After delicious cake and coffee Sheelagh left us. Maybe she only came for that!

Debs led us through St. Mary Bourne and westward through Little London and over Charlton Down along lanes many of the group had not ridden before. The last time I'd been this way was in August 2011 when I rode the Twinings Charity Event for Save the Children and Naomi House.

The northerly breeze reminded us that we are now in early winter but the sun continued to shine and light up the remaining autumnal colours.

We passed through Penton Mewsey and Weyhill before turning southward near Thruxton Village. 

We arrived at the Black Swan in Monxton around 1.10 p.m. only ten minutes behind schedule. We were joined here by John Spiers.

The pub was very busy which meant a long wait for lunch, but when it was eventually served it was very good. Much better value than some of the other pubs we have visited.


The Black Swan, Monxton.

We were well behind schedule as we headed for home, but we all agreed that, as it was a bright day, we should stick to Debs's original planned route and not take any shortcuts. David left us near Red Rice to return to Barton Stacey.

Once again the route was a good variation of well ridden route via Leckford and Crawley but taking a loop through Longstock.

By the time we got to the Leckford Hut the sun was setting so we all switched on our lights. As we neared Littleton it was getting a tad gloomy. Here we split with the majority continuing into Winchester while Debs, Jenny and I branched off over Three Maids Hill to Kings Worthy.

Many thanks Debs for a very enjoyable day out. Thanks also to all my fellow riders for the chat and banter that enliven such rides.
Thanks also to Simon for passing on his Garmin Data which I needed as I had forgotten to take my own Garmin. I have since traced my route and here is my map. 


Anyone wishing to follow the route can find it at:

http://connect.garmin.com/course/5227790

Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment