Sunday 15 December 2013

Two Elderly Gentlemen go for Lunch & Winchester CTC Intermediate Ride to White Hart Stockbridge

I am much happier with this week's exploits. On Thursday Simon and I went for a gentle ride to enjoy a carvery lunch at The Angel, Privett and today, unexpectedly, I led the Intermediate ride.

Thursday 12th Decemberh
Having missed last week's HCMF meet at the Angel Simon suggested we should go there for lunch just a week late! As it is only about 8 miles from Alresford we took a devious route to work up an appetite for our lunch.

Traffic was extremely light once we had left the A31 and it was a nice day for the ride, milder than I'd expected. As you can see from our route we took the lanes through Ropley and Colmore. Our highest point for the day at 766 feet was near to the Pub with No Name. We dropped down into the valley running just to the north of Privett village and returned from the East to The Angel which is situated on the A32 just where the "lap" one marker is positioned.



The pub was quite quiet so there was no danger of my repeating last week's sorry performance. We had a very good lunch from the carvery accompanied by the local Angel Ale brewed in Alton for the pub.  It was very good value at £1.99 a pint! 

Once replenished we took a much shorter route home. If you check the lap times you can see that we increased our pace considerably. Was that due to the refuelling stop? I fear it is much more likely that as the profile shows the road home was almost all downhill!


We were back in Alresford nice and early so Simon could take his car to the garage. 

Thanks Simon for a very enjoyable tete a tete.

On Saturday 14th December the ride was totalIy differerent. Simon & I rode into Winchester along the awfully surfaced B3047. We found a small group already gathered there including an agitated Ian, the designated leader for the day. It transpired that Caroline was unwell and Ian asked me if I could lead the ride so he could return home to care for her. Of course I agreed.
After a brief delay, while newbie Martin went to park his car where it would be free rather than paying the exorbitant charge in the car park, we set off.
In addition to Simon, Martin & me, in the group were: John Spiers, Margaret & Paul and another new (to me) rider Fiona.
I knew the route that Ian had planned which was out along the Old Sarum Road towards Farley Mount. We turned left by Crab Wood and as we zipped down to Standon we were joined by  Mary and Ken. We paused at Merdon Castle for me to recover at the top of the hill! 
The next few miles to Poppies Garden Centre & Cafe were quickly covered and we were soon tucking into coffee, tea & cakes. We had expected to be joined here by Ninya but she was not there. However John, a good Samaritan came in and told us that he had helped her with a flat tyre and that she had gone back to Stockbridge.
We were soon on our way there too. I led the group along the cycle path, not perfect, but one of the more useful ones, past the temptations of the Malt House and the Bear & Ragged Staff to the turning to Mottisfont. Here we left the main road to ride through the village and to follow the valley to  Stockbridge.
When we arrived at the White Hart we found Ninya and also Alan who had come to have lunch with us. Ninya left us before we enjoyed our bar snacks and Alan afterwards.
Prompt at 2 p.m. we resumed our ride along a recently resurfaced lane. I was lucky enough to see a Sparrow Hawk chasing a small bird as I rode to the bottom of the hill to King's Somborne. Here Ken, Margaret and Paul turned off here to return to Southampton.
Fiona "I hope I'm not holding you up", forged ahead of the group as I trailed up the through Ashley with Simon in close attendance but they all waited for me at the top and again when we climbed Farley Mount.
Mary left us here to go down the other road to Standon and thence to Chandlers Ford. John turned off soon afterwards. Martin was accompanied to near his parked car while Fiona, Simon and I continued to Kings Worthy. Here we found a surprise joker in the pack. The road under the A34 was totally closed so Simon and I had the pleasure of riding up Nation's Hill to get back onto the road home. We arrived there just after 4 p.m. and I immediately reported to Ian "Job done". Then had a well earned relaxing bath!

Here are the data and map for the ride:
 

The interactive version can be found here:



Another couple of possible rides before  Christmas, on Thursday the HCMF meet at the Phoenix in Twyford and on Saturday my intermediate ride. Just hope the weather is favourable.

Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment