Sunday 8 December 2013

A Disappointing Week

Thursday 5th December.

Simon and I rode together to Stoke Charity for the start of the Barrie's Pedalling Group Christmas Lunch special ride.

We made good time to the start and found several riders already there. (Caroline, Brenda, David, Alan Hardnett, Ian & Debs). Graham arrived soon after and we set off via Weston Colley towards Whitchurch and Alan Gwyer also joined us. I am afraid my performance was somewhat lacklustre and I was soon trailing. But I did manage to catch up with the others as we entered Whitchurch where we met Karen & Bill with their daughter Jo.

Brenda had a minor problem when her chain came off but she quickly put it back on and we continued down the Test valley, passing through Longparish to Wherwell and the White Lion our planned Christmas lunch venue.

Barrie was on hand to greet us having come by car as he had an injured wrist. 

Lunch was good with most of us sampling their delicious pies. I had venison and bacon. very tasty.

Unforuntely I began to feel very uncomfortable and quite caustrophobic and panicky with the opressive atmosphere and the high level of noise from a very crowded room. I twice went out into the fresh air which helped, but when I re-entered I realised that I just had to get out that environment and head for home. A quick farewell to the others and having settled my part of the bill I got going. Very kindly Ian insisted on coming with me to make sure I was OK. I was very appreciative of that as I still was not 100%.

Despite being under par we managed a reasonable turn of speed and were in King's Worthy by 2.40 p.m. Here, Ian left me to return home while I popped up Church Lane to my daughter's hoping for tea and symptahy. Unfortunately there was no one home so I continued alone to Alresford. Here I did get a nice cuppa and a warming & refreshing shower.

Here is my map and data for the day, actually not too bad an average speed!



Jean tells me I have been trying to do too much and should take it easier!

On Saturday I had planned on going to Gunwharf Quays to hear the Rock Choir perform but with the thought of heavy traffic and almost certain crowds I decided that this was probably not a good idea and did not go to avoid any possible repetition.

I decided to take it easy today, have a nice quiet lunch and to watch some rugby on the telly. However, I am looking forward to riding again on Thursday and/or next Saturday if the weather is favourable. I shall however avoid any crowded pubs!

Have just taken this picture of the sunset:





Gridironman.

1 comment:

  1. That is a lovely sunset! Sorry to hear of your misadventure, hope it doesn't recur.

    ReplyDelete