Saturday 23 November 2013

A Gentle Meander around the Local Lanes

Saturday 23rd November 2013. I feel a bit like Billy no Mates at present. None of my CTC Alresford Groupetta pals was able to join me on my ride this morning.They missed a most interesting ride in the warm winter sunshine. Pity about the North wind which made it feel a little chilly. However, I was well layered up and wore my winter gloves for the first time.

I had no clear plan other than to be home in time for lunch. The bike was pointing west when I junped on, but not wanting to go towards Winchester, I dived down Drovers' Lane and tested myself by taking on Mollie's Dismount. (7.9% gradient). This warmed me up nicely. There had been almost no traffic but near East Stratton I met three cars and was passed by four others. This was the busiest time all day.

The trees vary a lot at the moment. Some leafless, some displaying lovely autumn colours and others still quite green as you will be able to see from this group in Stratton Park.

Ash bare, Beech coloured, Oak still green.
The sun was also making lovely patterns with the light and shade in the woods.

Paterns of light and shade.
I was passed by a truck carrying a load of Christmas trees near the Calvert Centre. They must have just been cut in the plantation near Woodmancott. Arriving in Brown Candover with only just over ten miles covered I decided to loop around through Preston Candover and Wield before heading for home. 

I thought the Shard was in London but I took this picture in Brown Candover!

Hampshire's Shard?

The hill to Upper Wield seemed quite easy, thanks North Wind!
I passed the vinyard on Chalk Hill and turned towards Bighton and here I took the small lane which loops around the farm instead of following the usual road. I rejoined the  normal route at the edge of the village. From here it was an easy ride home where I arrived just in time for lunch and to watch the very exciting Rugby League Semi Final which England lost in the last minutes of the game. 20 - 18. Real rugby to watch later this evening!

Here is the link to my route and data for the day:-


Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment