Sunday 17 November 2013

The Brushmakers Upham Meet of the HCMF

Bad news this week. My good friend Alex has had a spill whilst riding with the WER on Saturday and has fractured his hip. I was not riding myself, as I have been having fun with my two grandsons instead, so know little of the details. I am sure you will all join with me in wishing him a speedy recovery.

My only ride this week was on Thursday when I joined the HCMF meet at the Brushmakers' Arms in Upham. I chose a favourite route  from Alresford through Tichborne, Cheriton and Kilmeston to the top of Beacon Hill, with that nice decent to Corhampton Golf Club to follow. This time I carried on down to Droxford.

In the field on my left a farmer was tilling the land with a cloud of seagulls following him to pick up the worms etc uncovered by the activity.

The scene looking towards Winchester Hill.
From Droxford I headed towards Swanmore past the Alpacca Farm. At the top of the hill I spotted this fantastic display of roses. Not bad for mid November!

November Roses.

The road between Swanmore and Bishop's Waltham was closed for major roadworks but hoping that at least the footpath would be open I took it. My optimism was justified and I was able to get through OK.

As I entered the main street, quite by chance, I encountered Karen and her daughter Jo out for a ride together. I rode with them for a little while up Beeches Hill to Ashton. Soon after I left them to cross the valley to Upham. The NW breeze seemed particularly strong here as I headed directly into it.

Another good turn out of members here. I managed to find a vacant corner and chatted with David while we ate lunch. I then moved to join Janice and Dan who were the sole representatives from North Hants. Don arrived next and the four of us had a very good chat before I decided it was time to get moving again, having been at the pub for over 90 mins.

Outside I found Les feverishly searching his pockets for the key to the lock holding his and Jenny's bikes. I hope he was able to resolve his problem.

The weather had been fine until now but I did feel a few drops of rain as I rode through Longwood Dean. Fortunately the sun was soon out again.

I was home soon after 3 p.m. but already the light was beginning to fade.

For my route map and data go to:


Don't believe the average moving speed, I can't understand how Mr Garmin has calculated 4 m.p.h.. I make it a little over 11.1 m.p.h.! 

Another gentle social ride!

Gridironman.





No comments:

Post a Comment