Sunday 12 August 2018

Three Counties Tour & A Visit to the Cotswolds

On Wednesday, August 8th, I decided that it would be good to join my LotSW pals for a ride. I drove to Whitchurch where  I met up with Caroline and Ian and the superb waffler David. I was not disappointed as Ian had planned a very good ride to the Littlecote Hotel near Hungerford.  We were late setting off and with a 10 minute or so waffle stop in Armansworth we arrived at the coffee stop in time for lunch. Afterwards, we continued to the Hotel via Hungerford, where we arrived in time to enjoy my after lunch coffee whilst the others tucked into tea and cakes. The return was over the hills into the Bourne valley where Caroline excelled herself leading us at speed down the valley.  An excellent day out. 


Green Man

Lovely Country Cottage.

The Faffers.

Speedy Caroline.



Despite the change in the weather, I have had another very enjoyable weekend away in Dobbin with Paris. I set off on Thursday, August 9th, and met my brother, Robin, in Cricklade. It was his birthday so after treating him and his wife Diana for lunch he took me for a ride. Here are the details:




The following day, Friday, August 10th, it was a very wet morning so I waited patiently until the weather brightened up. I left the Caravan Club park at Cirencester at around 1 p.m.and explored the lanes between Kemble and Cerney Wick not planning my route but just meandering about.  It was much easier riding than I had expected and I managed 15 miles in my first hour. That could not continue of course once I found some gentle hills. I still made good progress and stopped for a cup of coffee and a lardy cake in the village shop in Paulton. £1.85! Great value. I had not moved out of my big ring (50 teeth) all day until I climbed the hill from the town of Cirencester to the Camping Club site. which was the steepest hill on a very easy day. Here is the route of my very erratic progress:



After a rest and a cuppa, I decided to do another ride in the evening to the Thames Head Pub just a few miles away. I needed to make it a decent ride so I went via the villages of Coates and Tarlton to get there. Had to use my lowest gear for the first time all day! After a good meal, I returned to the campsite via Kemble and Ewen where my brother used to live. 

Saturday, August 11th, was a day for family business, Robin picked me up and we went to a Garden party at my Niece's home in Llanvair Discoed near Chepstow. It was a lovely family reunion day with many members of my family there as well as many of Glenys's friends. The weather didn't co-operate and we spent most of the party sheltering from the rain inside or under the canopy by the back door. Nevertheless a great day.

Today Sunday, August 12th, I decided not to ride as it was raining heavily at 9.00 when I would have set off to visit my home village of Cranham. Instead, I went by camper car.  I was so pleased I had gone as it had been Cranham Feast on Saturday and the Church was beautifully decorated with flowers. I enjoyed a chat with one of the current parishioners. 







Next, I visited my friend Geoffrey and his wife in Sheepscome and then called on another niece in Stroud for a brief chat and a welcome coffee before returning home.

It had been a little disappointing trip because of the rain on three of the four days but it was still a very enjoyable weekend with the renewal of family ties and other friendships. 
I have now enjoyed 5 of these mini Camper/Cycle trips without any major problems.

Gridironman.



No comments:

Post a Comment