Sunday 29 January 2017

Welcome to Scottie!


My "New" Bike, Scottie. 

 The first part of the week is best described by my pal Simon:-

Simon Turner
28 January at 11:41

Bryce Mansfield joins the veteran cyclists following with his recently acquired 1946 F H Scott from the estate of the late Bob West. Bryce asked me to 'look over' his new acquisition but of course for me I couldn't stop at just that so I conducted a full 'sympathetic' restoration believing at first this was a prewar bike as the wheels are certainly 1935 (the SA two speed fixed being stamped TF5). The frame number had the leading character '46' - I have a 1949 F H Scott and my frame number begins 49XXX. The Williams cranks were stamped AI for 1946 and the GB brakes were the very first made in 46 i,e, without the stamped Hidiminium on the arms. Most work was in the mudguards those on the bike the rear was made up of at least 10 patches of different guards!! I did save the early reflector and swapped it with that on the replacement Feather Weights, I also cut the spearpoint on the front guard and hand made the QR special bolts (stainless) and brass wingnuts. 82 years of age had taken their toll on the chrome on the Dunlop Special Lightweight rims (26 x 1 1/4) - front came up OK the back I clear lacquered to prevent rusting. Add appropriate wingnuts all round, stripped and re black enamelled the very rare two speed SA level and cable roller (they were painted red!).
As I had added wingnuts to the front Solite hub I decided to make a clip to mount the milometer on the fork blade rather than it drop to the ground every time the wheel was removed. The bar stem was bent and the brake levers had wildly different curvatures! I chunked the modern cork tape glued over the entire handlebars and levers, removed all the scratches from both and polished up recovered in red cloth tape. The saddle is a pre 53 'Oval' Brook B17 Narrow - it had a nickel Brooks clamp in bad condition but I manage to make one good one out of 3 I had. Those going to the VCC Fishbourne ride in March will see Bryce and the bike as well as my 49 F H Scott. We both hope the weather is warm enough to wear our Welsh RED DRAGON jerseys as all F H Scott frame were the 'Dragon' model as Mr Scott's wife (like my own wife) was named Sarah and came from Wales so adopted the Welsh Red Dragon on the head and seat tube badges.

I did help a little, spending four hours removing rust from the rims which are nearly as old as me! I used Brillo pads and another type of kitchen scourer.




The pictures on the left are before, those on the right after refurbishment. The main noticeable changes are: 1. We have dispensed with the scruffy frame and saddle bag. Neither of them period correct anyway. 2. Replacement brake cable covers and handlebar tape. 3. Correct painting of the gear change mechanism. 4. Those very tatty mudguards replaced 5 Beautifully shined bell. 6 Rust has been largely removed from the rims.

As you can see from Simon's very detailed description he has done a magnificent job, a true labour of love! I am over the moon with the result and having ridden Scottie for just over a mile, I am looking forward to a longer ride on him. Very many thanks Simon.


Saturday 28th January 2017.
Groupetta Ride to Lasham for Lunch.



A modest week of actual cycling but one of great interest to enthusiasts!

Gridironman.




No comments:

Post a Comment