Saturday 21 January 2017

Spring is coming!

It has been a bit of odd week for me. A couple of good rides with my pal Cycmon, also PinkPal on one of them. Had planned to ride today, Saturday 21st January, but got very cold in the night and woke feeling awful. Decided it was best to stay in the warm and went back to bed until mid morning. Since then I have perked up and done a few chores including a short walk into town for a couple of items. Tomorrow I have family commitments so won't be riding then. So here is the details of my cycling week.

Monday 16th January 2017.


Despite the colder weather of the last few days I have evidence that spring is coming. The first snowdrops are out in my garden!

Although I did not cycle on Monday, it was a special day. I went to see Sue West along with Bob Damper to discuss the disposition of the late Bob's many cycles. Sue very kindly gave me a 1930s F.H. Scott. I carried it home on the roof of my car and took it straight round to Cycmon's to get his first impressions of it.
Over the next few weeks he is going to help (?) me check it over and give it a little TLC. I suspect it will be Cycmon doing most of the work! I hope to ride it to a Veteran Cycles Club meet in March.

The "new" bike. What do I call him? Scottie?

Tuesday 17th January 2017.

Spring can't be far away 2. Both Cycmon and Pinkpal came out of hibernation to join me for a gentle Alresford Groupetta ride to Bishops Waltham and back. A modest 30 miles.

I am pleased to say they both did well and are beginning to get back into form. The bad news for me is that when they are back to full fitness I shall once more be trailing on the hills instead of leading as I did up Ashton Lane, setting my second best time ever for that climb.

Whilst in Bishops Waltham we had a coffee before searching for the site of an 1905 bike shop in the Avenue.  See pictures below.

The original Bike shop.
Is this it today?
This is the results of our search. I am not sure that this is the same structure. This is Cycmon's report:

Getting back on the bikes now, Saturday joined the CTC Oops - Cycling UK Easy Ride: well I hadn't ridden for 3 months following the Hernia Op. That was 30 miles, Tuesday was another 30 miles - a ride of discovery to seek out a Cycle Shop in The Avenue Bishops Waltham from a photo taken in 1905. Pretty sure we found the corrugated roofed shack - now much modified.



Thursday 19th January 2017.

As Simon had an earlier appointment it was gone 11.30 a.m. before we set off to join the Fellowship meet in Twyford. Here is Cycmon's report:

Today 27 miles to the Cycling Fellowship Pub meet at Twyford. Bob Damper had one of Bob West bikes there - a 1933 Higgins Ultralite but with much later 50-60s components (see photo). Bryce also now has his own vintage bike again one of Bob West's a F H Scott of Ealing circa 1937-9 with much period correct equipment - a nice touch on this machine is the Sturmey 2 speed fixed (although it has a BSA freewheel sprocket on it) - also the later period RRA pedals! Well I should do over the 'ton' this week if the weather's OK for 50 plus miles on Saturday.



GRIDIRONMAN.





No comments:

Post a Comment