Sunday 17 July 2016

Dodging the rain.

It has been another good week for me. I have managed three rides and have only got wet once, whilst adding another 155 miles to my annual total.
 I have been asked by some of my friends if I am going to do the "Guess My Miles" competition this year.  I had not thought of doing so but they were quite keen on the idea, so I will. It is too early to start that yet, 1st October seems more suitable so will start it then and close it on 30th November. Here is the graph of my progress so far this year, but remember that I will not be riding another M2M. For those of you who do not know the rules here they are.
Guesses cost £1 a go. The pot is split with 15% going to the winner with 5% each to the next two closest guesses. The remaining 75% is donated to the charity "Forever Angels".

Graph of my mileage. The X axis is the number of rides, not weeks. 79 completed so far.

Tuesday 12th July 2016.




Thursday 14th July.


My Groupetta pals being otherwise occupied I rode to the HCMF meet at The Northbrook Arms, East Stratton. I needed to do a few miles than the shortest way which is only about 5 miles. To start I went to Lasham Gliding Club for a coffee. A good choice as I was able to enjoy watching the gliders take off and circle. I saw 8 go up in a very short time. Perhaps there was some competition going on.

I still had plenty of time so I continued my travels via Weston Patrick and Tunworth. Many flowers, but not so many as I'd enjoyed in France. Apart from the ubiquitous common hogweed there were rose bay willowherb, bedstraw, and some yellow spikes I don't know the name of. The last were attracting a marbled white butterfly. I also saw this cereal crop, it is not normal wheat, any ideas?


I discovered that I could skirt Basingstoke quite easily without getting onto any busy roads apart from a short piece of the A30 before I turned off to North Waltham. 
At the pub I sat and enjoyed a pint with my friends before heading home for a late lunch.




Saturday 16th July


A modest number of riders for Simon's intermediate ride. Probably because many of the CTC are taking part in Sunday's epic ride from Wantage. Simon and I rode to Winchester to join four others and PinkPal joined us en route to our coffee stop at West Meon .

Despite Simon's assertion that it was not hilly we did seem to spend some time climbing, at one point at 13.3%. However we did enjoy the intermittent sunshine and found it a bit hot sitting in the sun while we enjoyed our coffee.

The pub were expecting us and service was very good considering they were quite busy. We enjoyed good food as we sat in the shady garden.  

Our return journey was up a couple more hills and down a recently gravelled slope to the A32. This was quite a challenge. Two of our group left us in Four Marks to return more directly to Alresford.

Unfortunately I had a flat tyre in Medstead and had to change my tube. I was ably assisted by Simon with lots of advice from the others. 

Eventually I was home by about 4.30 p.m. A good day out with chums.

No comments:

Post a Comment