Sunday 24 July 2016

A busy end to the week.

Thursday 21st July 2016.



Gridironman & Andy at the Departure Lounge Cafe.

Friday 22nd July 2016.


I drove from home to the Youth Hostel at Blaxhall stopping en route to visit my pal from the M2M Chris. He introduced me to his border terrier Mollie who consented to have her photo taken with me. Chris gave me a very warm welcome and a delicious picnic style lunch. Almost as good as one of Julie's. We spent nearly two hours reliving our recent adventures in France before I continued my journey.
I arrived at the hostel at 3 p.m. and by five past I was on my "Posh" exploring the lanes locally. I visited the little seaside town of Aldeburgh passing through acres of onions on the way. I was disappointed that the beach was shingle. 
But it was a pleasant ride along the promenade where I spotted this Track Marshall which has seen better days. I was assured that it is still used! 

I continued along the seafront to Thorpeness. Another charming little town with a boating lake.

The Boating Lake.
Beside the road out of the town there is a famous house called The House in the Clouds. See what you think.




The only part of the ride I did not enjoy was part of the return journey where I had to ride about a mile along the very busy A12. Not very nice.
I timed my ride perfectly arriving back at the hostel a few minutes after opening time of 5 p.m. I had a reasonably good stay at the hostel with a number of hostellers to chat with, but as so often for the first day away I slept poorly. I popped down to the nearby Ship inn for supper, a tasty trout with almonds fresh potatoes and salad.

Saturday 23rd July 2016.

Next morning I was up about 7 a.m. and on my way to Bildeston for the Audax. It was too early to partake of the hostel breakfast so I looked out for a spot for coffee on my way. I was lucky, in Needham Market there was a car boot sale. I popped in and enjoyed a bacon butty and a coffee.

There were three different routes for the day, I had entered for the shortest, only 100 km. Our group was last away at 9.30. I rode for the first few miles with some others but they left me behind on the first hill a sharp climb at about 8%. However throughout the day I re-passed many of them and had others who had started behind me coming past too, so I was never alone for long.

The farmers were busy making the most of the fine weather to harvest their crops, combining, haymaking & baling were all taking place.


I managed to find the answers to all of the information checks and found that I was well up to schedule at the two manned check points. I stopped for a cold drink in one village and sat by the pond to enjoy it. Two other "oldies" joined me, one aged 84, and we rode together for some of the route. They were a bit fast for me, but I did manage to finish ahead of them. From time to time I rode with a guy from London on a fixed wheel bike. We rode the last 10 miles together and chatted afterwards while we had tea at the finish. He introduced me to his friend, Alex, a member of the VCC. who knows Bob Damper.




Hollyhocks on the beach.

Canada Geese on the lake.



A very happy Gridironman drove to Tewin to stay with his cousin and enjoy another fine supper and a well earned rest before driving home on Sunday morning.




No comments:

Post a Comment