Sunday 23 August 2015

Welsh Border Raids and a couple of BBQs.

Sunday 14th August 2015.

My first ride in Herefordshire and Shropshire since I was a lad. I had driven up to Bridges YH the day before and enjoyed the wedding of my Great Niece Hannah to Mikey. 
I rode from the hostel to Wigmore to join the family for a celebratory BBQ. I had some problems with recording my route as I had not set up my new Garmin 200 correctly so I have re-plotted my route using RidewithGPS. 

I found the going a lot easier than I had expected, partly because I had chosen routes avoiding the steep hills. Generally one can find routes along the river valleys. Many of the unclassified roads were quite wide and traffic was much less than we are used to in Hampshire.  When I got near to Wigmore I found I was going to be too early so I added a small loop to the East. This seemed to be a popular route for the local cyclists as I passed one group of mature ladies and another of younger men. They all gave me a friendly wave as they passed.

After the BBQ I followed part of the same route back to the hostel but deviated to Bishop's Castle to add some variety before heading back up the valley to the YH. The views of the Long Mynd  were good, it seemed to be like a big black whale and appeared to be so steep that I did not fancy trying to ride over it via the little winding lanes.

Back at the Hostel I chilled out with other hostellers, going to the pub by the river for a night cap. Surprisingly the pub was absolutely packed. We discovered that there was a music festival taking place just a couple of miles away.

Monday 17th August 2015.

I decided to explore to the North and West. From the hostel it was up hill to start climbing to the highest point of my route at 1,160 feet.

The views from the top were spectacular. Miles of green fields and many hills scattered about and beyond the Severn plain around Shrewsbury. Lots of dairy herds in this area as well as potatoes and a variety grain crops.

The descent was 1 in 7 and because it was a good road I was able to freewheel at high speed for a long way. Fantastic!


I turned West, heading for Welshpool. To avoid one steep hill I rode along the main A458 for a short way. This was the only time that the traffic was heavy. The plus side of this was I found a roadside cafe in a lay-by dispensing welcome tea and snacks at very reasonable prices. 

I enjoyed watching a farmer collecting bales of straw in a field and admired another great view of some of the many little mountains. 

I was now back on minor roads and climbing again. These hills are sometimes long but rarely too steep.


Tractor with Baler.
The biggest hazard with the harvest in full swing was the many tractors in the lanes. This one passing me just as |I'd stopped to take a panorama view looking towards Wales and Welshpool. 






When I arrived in Welshpool I discovered one of the reasons for the heavy traffic. It was market day. The Livestock Auction Site was in full swing. I have never seen so many cattle trucks, pickups with animal accommodation and cattle trailers in my life. There must have been several hundred. The town was busy too but the real attraction for me was Powis Castle which is very close to the town.
The Entrance to Powis Castle.
It was quite a climb to the castle so I was glad to enjoy  lunch and a rest.
As I still had some way to go I did not go inside the Castle preferring to enjoy the gardens and park.

My route from here was back towards Bishop's Castle as a more direct way to the hostel would have involved some more seriously steep hills. Many of lanes here were lined with meadowsweet, not only a lovely sight, but filling the air with their scent.

In Churchstoke I stopped for a rest and a welcome pint at a pub. Then i took the B road towards Bishop's Castle before rejoining my route of yesterday through the village of Norbury. It was only a few miles now back to the hostel and I was glad of another break while I took some more pictures.
Brendon's Pass.
One of this unusual structure in a small meadow near a stream. The gate bore a name plate "Brendon's Pass".

Later enquiries revealed that this is probably a memorial to a young man, Brendon, who was killed in a motor accident nearby and who donated his organs to help five other people.

Back at the hostel I enjoyed a welcome cuppa before driving in my car to the top of the Long Mynd for the even more spectacular views.

Croeso   i  Gymru
The following day I headed North once more, to St. Martins near Oswestry. This time in my car to visit an old friend Jeanne and enjoy further sight seeing. This time by car as Jeanne does not cycle or drive.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Shropshire and my frequent incursions into Wales, due to the very wavy line of the border.

I would recommend it to others wanting to enjoy some cycling on good country roads with outstanding rural scenery. 















Saturday 22 August. Winchester CTC Join the Alton CTC BBQ.

It was my great pleasure to lead this ride to share with our cycling friends in the North Eastern part of Hampshire. I had been slightly apprehensive as I had hurt my knee on Wednesday. (A non cycling related incident) I had warned Simon that he might have to take over. I cyled to the start and as my knee was pretty well OK I did lead with Simon and John Spiers helping. 
I had planned a route which was a little shorter than last year's to ensure we arrived in good time. I led them via Easton, Itchen Abbas and Itchen Down to the top of Mollie's Dismount. Then through Abbotstone and Bighton to Medstead. From here we enjoyed a very fast descent through Beech.

I was not sure that my choice of coffee stop at the Departure Lounge was a good one as when we got there we found about 20 other cyclists from Farnham queuing for coffee. We decided that we needed a break even if we were slightly delayed.

Only a few miles now to Newton Stacey and the BBQ but unfortunately I managed to lose two riders in the traffic through Alton. (Apologies Ken and John S. for my error).




As always the BBQ was a great success with Brian working his magic over the hot coals with able assistance from David and others. 

Thanks Alton CTC for being such wonderful hosts making us feel really welcome.
                                                           Thanks Maggie for these three pictures of the Winchester CTC riders enjoying their lunch.



Brian enjoying the fruits of his labours
Of course we also enjoyed some delicious sweets before setting off via East Tisted and Ropley back to Alresford. Here I abandonned my charges to find their own ways back to Winchester. I believe that Simon accompanied them all the way! 

Three of the group did accept my offer of tea in my garden and I even had enough cake for them to have a small piece each.

My route for the day.
Sunday 23 August 2015.
It was my pleasure today to help my friend PinkPal with her fund raising at Tesco Stores in Winchester. She is due to ride LeJog in September in aid of Naomi House. Today she added almost £400 to her pot. Well done!



Please sponsor her if you have not already done so on:-


Hope to see many of you out on the bikes again soon.

Don't forget that if you click on the photos they can be viewed full size as a slide show.

Gridironman.




















No comments:

Post a Comment