Sunday 2 August 2015

First of my holiday rides & a visit to Odiham Castle.

Tuesday 28th July 2015.

The first day of a short trip to Bognor Regis to stay with my friend Eric. I was awake at six and realised there was no chance of going back to sleep again so I got up and by seven I was on my bike and en route to North Bersted, a suburb of Bognor Regis. I had planned a route using Garmin taking care to ensure it did not use any bridle ways or footpaths. Apart from two early climbs through Kilmeston and up Old Winchester Hill the route ,was fairly flat. I was a little concerned that I might struggle as I had about 25 lbs of clothes etc. in my panniers and rack bag, but I managed both hills quite well. At the top of the main ascent I pressed the wrong button on my Garmin 200 and had to restart it. Luckily it did save my map & data.



As I descended into Clanfield I was irritated by a rattle, I soon discovered it was caused by a loose bolt on one of my bottle carriers. Unfortunately I could not tighten it up, maybe the thread has gone? I popped the bottle into one of my panniers and carried on. My second problem of the day occurred as I tried to exit Clanfield. Mr. Garmin had planned to cross the A3 dual carriage way. I could not find a way over as there were several Armco barriers and a hedge blocking my way. I took a diversion through Horndean and was soon back on course.

My Diversion through Horndean.

Apart from a brief refreshment break I kept up a steady pace and was soon into Chichester.  Here I discovered some sensible and well marked cycle lanes making it easy to navigate the city centre.

There was also a decent though not perfect shared cycle path for about 3.5 miles from Chichester to North Bersted. I welcomed the use of this as the A259 is an extremely busy road with many large commercial vehicles zooming past.



I arrived at my friend's home just before 10.30 a.m. having covered the thirty five miles in a shade under 3.5 hours. Eric was very surprised to see me so early but I had soon unloaded my panniers and we were settled over a pot of coffee catching up with one another's news.

I had a most enjoyable time with Eric who did his best to make me feel at home. We went to Slindon for a walk after lunch and that evening we went to his son's home for dinner. David is a good cook and had prepared a delicious Guiness and Steak Pie.

On Wednesday we had a pub lunch at Duncton before visiting Petworth House for a walk in the park and tea in the Audit Room! 

Thursday 30th July 2015.

All too soon my visit was over and I started to wend my way home.
I had planned a slightly shorter but much hillier way home via South Harting and Petersfield. I went back along the cycle path to Chichester where I crossed the A27 by a purpose built cycle/pedestrian bridge. I was pleased with Mr. Garmin's route through the city which avoided the town centre and took me through some very quiet and shady residential streets.

For the first ten miles of the journey I was climbing, but very gently, rising only 240 feet, however there was still a ten mph breeze in my face which kept my speed down. Then I had to climb over the Downs to South Harting. At the top of the first steep climb I took this picture looking to the East, while I recovered and enjoyed a snack. A lovely sweep down to the valley floor from which  I'd just climbed.
My trusty well laden Sporty takes a rest before descending to South Harting.


Another tough climb to nearly 700 feet before that scintillating 
500 foot drop into South Harting and the undulating run into Petersfield.There is an abundance of ragwort this year and no action seems to being take action to control it in accordance with the Ragwort Control Act 2003. This field just outside Petersfield field almost looks like a planted crop!

I decided to stop for lunch here at The Cloisters Cafe. Very good baked spud with a mixed salad and a tasty chilli beef topping.

Parked next to Sporty was this unusual bike. A home built model with an electric motor. I chatted briefly with the owner who said it was very powerful. I forgot to ask what range it has. 
My next challenge was to climb Stoner Hill, much to my surprise I climbed it without having to resort to my very lowest gear. It certainly is a lot less steep than the South Harting one as it winds its way up to the top at almost 800 feet.

I was home by two o'clock having enjoyed the familiar road to Ropley and Alresford.

Comparison between my outward and homeward rides shows that the feet climbed per mile to Bognor was only 28.8 whereas the return was 48.8, (the second highest this year). The average ride is around 35.


Saturday 1st August 2015.

Simon and I decided to search out some roads we'd not ridden before and to visit Odiham Castle. We left Alresford at around 10 a.m. and headed over White Hill to Ropley. It was a lovely day with all manner of varied clouds on display from cirrus, mackerel sky to alto cumulus. Later in the day they had all gone and were replaced with cumulus with a touch of nimbus.
After our climb to Medstead I suggested that an early coffee stop at Lasham might be good but Simon vetoed that idea and we pressed on to Odiham. Here after a little indecision as to where to take our break we found a suitable coffee shop/bar and enjoyed good coffee with delicious warm Danish pastries. 
Simon found out where the castle was located and I managed to find it on a map on my phone! A first for me! As we set off to visit it we were spotted by Dave Moseley and stopped for a chat. 

We soon found the castle, famous its link with King John and the Magna Carta, along a canal-side path. We were amazed that the structure which has endured for over 800 years is made largely of flints. 


Simon with his Claude Butler cycle and Odiham Castle.
Time was marching on and Simon had a plan of passing to the north of Basingstoke and taking tea at Oakley. We found our way by trial and error as neither of us is familiar with this area. We did very well at first finding our way successfully around  to the |North of Hook to Turgis Green and Sherfield on Loddon. Then we headed through Bramley to Sherborne St. John. We could not seem to find a suitable road to take us further south west and we seemed to be drawn as if by a magnet towards Basingstoke. We eventually managed to get ourselves totally disorientated in the streets of the town and Simon being about 30 yards ahead of me managed to get through two sets of lights on green whereas I had to stop. I had no idea where he had gone so took the easy option, but not the nicest way, to the A339 Alton/Alresford road at Viables. Here miraculously Simon came up from behind me having come a totally different way through the town.




I would like to say that the rest of the way was a doddle, but of course it wasn't as we had that steep climb from Chiddesdon to the top of the downs at over 700 feet. We paused to refuel at the top having managed (just) to make it without walking. 

It was good to get home and have time for a cuppa and a shower before heading out for supper with my daughter and her family.

A very great day out with lots of exploring done of the area north of Basingstoke.


Alresford Groupetta News.

PinkPal regains the TUK medal after a sterling effort on Monday doing two hard climbs in the Mendip Hills in Somerset.Well done! Seems like our members are being drawn  outside our normal range with PinkPal and Andrew going to Somerset, Gridironman to Sussex and Cycmon & Gridironman exploring roads not ridden before in Hampshire.

Rank
Name
Miles.
1 PinkPal
144
2 Gridironman
132
3 Andrew
125
4 Cycmon
95
5 Mark
68
6 Paddy
0


Total
564

N.B. Paddy is on holiday so may have been cycling in Ireland.





Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment