Sunday 7 December 2014

Four Pedallers Go Forth and Keep Fit Circuit via Ropley, Medstead & the Candovers.

Thursday 4th December.
Simon and I had opted to join the Pedallers at Stoke Charity as there was no HCMF pub meeting. 
We rode there and purely by chance as we rode past the King Charles in Kings Worthy we were joined by Alex. When we got to the RV we found Brenda waiting. She too had ridden to the meet.
We had a short wait while we waited till ten in case anyone else showed up and had a warm drink while we waited.  I was the only one who had not brought one so Simon kindly shared his coffee with me.
After a short discussion we decided to head for H's in Whitchurch and we set off via Micheldever and past Micheldever Station.
It was a very damp, cold and misty morning and my glasses kept fogging up. We had a nice warm break at H's and Simon treated us all to coffee and cake. What a gent!
All too soon it was time to move on. We headed out of Whitchurch towards Longparish at a fair lick with me leading, well I didn't want to risk getting cold again! 
In the village Brenda left us to carry on down the Test Valley while we took the road over the A303 to Barton Stacey. Next through Sutton Scotney to Wonston to the lane to South Wonston avoiding a stretch of the busy road. At Three Maids Hill Alex left us to head home via Littleton while Simon led me via Headbourne Worthy to Monk's Road in Winchester where we visited his daughter Rachel and grandson Alexander. Our third coffee stop of the day! (Proper cycling?).
We were soon on our way again and when I arrived home just before 2.30 I discovered we had covered about 43 miles. Here is are map and data for the day.


Sunday 7th Dec 2014.
I had planned to join the Winchester CTC ride with Simon at the coffee stop at Popham on Saturday but a combination of icy roads and other commitments caused us to change our plans. (Code for "Wimped out"?).
To make up for missing the Saturday Ride I had an early lunch and did a local training loop of my own. It was jolly cold because of a strong NW breeze despite the temperature being a little higher.

Nothing spectacular and only a modest pace but I did enjoy the opportunity to stop and take a couple of photos.

There was fantastic light at times due to the quickly changing cloud formations, making interesting muted colours. The setting sun also made some great silhouettes, sadly I failed to capture them.


Ropley Church undergoing repairs.


A lovely Green field near Burkham. (Winter barley?)
 
A bandit I met on the way!
Note the rosy cheeks from the exertion!

 Here is my route and data for the day:

 A fairly decent pace despite riding my old faithful Sporty. Posh is cowering in the garage. He doesn't like this cold damp weather, no mudguards !

Thanks to Simon, Brenda and Alex for their company on Thursday, and thanks again Simon for the regular supply of warming coffee!

Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment