Sunday 17 August 2014

Posh Gets Wet and Muddy, Twice!

I am on pet minding duties for a couple of weeks, so I have tailored my rides to take advantage of this. On Tuesday 12th I rode over to Kings Worthy, made good time along the much improved road through Itchen Abbass and Martyr Worthy. Once I'd done my chores I found an alternative way home through heading North past South Wonston to Wonston. I love that little road through Hunton always pretty with no fewer than three churches to pass in little over a mile.

My plan worked well until just after I'd passed through Micheldever and East Stratton. Then it started to rain. Shock horror, no mudguards!  It didn't rain enough to get me very wet but I ran into the area where it had been much heavier and the roads were swimming with water. I actually didn't get too much spray, I guess the smooth tyres don't pick up as much water as knobbly ones. 

I was home in just a couple of seconds over 2 hours moving time for the 26.77 miles. Bunged my wet kit into the washing machine had a shower and tucked into a beer & a late lunch. Bliss!


On Thursday 14th August the start was the same but I shaved a couple of minutes of my time from home to Westwinds.
I headed out of Winchester along the Old Sarum road and then turned down Kilham Lane to cross the Romsey road. Road works here causing major hold ups. I hopped of my bike and took to the pedestrian routes across the junction and took the Oliver's Battery Road North through the underpass and onto the Oliver's Battery Road South. There had been a shower on the slopes of Port Lane but I was able to dodge the wet patches on the road. I was aiming to join the HCMF at the Phoenix in Twyford. However, my luck did not hold as in Otterbourne it started to rain. 


I only just had time to get in the shelter of a large hedge before the rain came down in torrents. It continued for about 15 minutes. Luckily my shelter was good and I did not get too wet, but of course the roads were so wet that the spray of passing traffic and my lack of mudguards ensured that by the time I'd reached Brambridge I was getting a lot wetter. I did not fancy sitting in the Phoenix in wet clothes so instead of heading there as intended I chose instead to go home via Hensting Lane and Owslebury.

I was surprised that In Colden Common the roads were almost dry and there was little sign of the downpour I'd experienced.

There was now intermittent sunshine and only one small shower as I covered the 14 miles home. By the time I got there I was almost dry and apart from muddy streaks up my back and on my shoes there was little sign of my experience.

I can now say that Posh has now been well and truly "christened" and I am now a member of the rooster tail club!


Saturday 16th August.
At first I was sorry I was unable to join the Winchester CTC ride to Silchester but having seen the Garmin report of it by PinkPal  and her comment of "Knackered" perhaps I was lucky to have had a less demanding ride.

I was joined by Simon for an afternoon ride to Bishop's Waltham and back.

Our route was through Kilmeston and our time over the Rooksgrove sector was 22 seconds slower than my best. Possibly due to the strong head breeze. It certainly wasn't Simon holding me back as he was first up it.

Once over Beacon Hill we enjoyed the fast descent past the Golf Club. Here is the view towards Old Winchester Hill from the slopes above Droxford with  a comparison to the picture I took in the winter. (Not quite the exact same spot).

Looking towards Old Winchester Hill, August 16th 2014.
(The crop sown in November cut and only a few bales left to collect).

Preparing for the harvest, 14th November 2013
 We carried on through Droxford hoping to see the Alpacas. They were almost out of sight at the far end of their meadow. We passed a wedding reception as we climbed the hill and then when we got to Swanmore another wedding had just taken place with the happy couple getting into the wedding car and the throng of well-wishers blocking the road temporarily.

In BW we had our treat of the day. Jean had kindly told us to enjoy our refreshment break and indulge in cake as her treat. We had delicious coffee, walnut and pecan cake with fresh cream washed down by Sumatran coffee at The Anvil.

Suitably refreshed we returned home by the nearly direct route. We particularly enjoyed the downhill from the Milbury's. I think if it was not for the A272 it would be possible to freewheel all the way to Cheriton.

A bus chased us through the village and we were soon into the favourite lanes through Tichborne making a final sprint at 18 mph to the ford. 

have been a little bit worried about the state of the footbridge recently as the wire mesh and staples seem to be getting worn and in danger of puncturing tyres, so I walked across and so did Simon.

Another very pleasant afternoon ride with coffee and cake. I must be getting soft!


Many thanks to Simon for his company and to Jean for our treat!

Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment