Sunday 12 January 2014

To Leckford Estate with Barrie & Co. and a Solo Ride to Popham

Two enjoyable rides this past week. The first on Thursday with Barrie & Co. I rode to join them at the start at Stoke Charity. I left home just before nine o'clock and was there in plenty of time. Ninya was already there and soon we were joined by Barrie, Graham, Karen & Jo and Ian. Then just as we were about to set off Brenda appeared.

We decided to keep to the larger road to Sutton Scotney as the lanes were very muddy with a lot of debris. We were soon somewhat spread out as some of us wanted a slower pace, with Ninya and I bringing up the rear. This was fine and as we knew where we were going and when we got to the cafe we discovered that Karen and Jo who had been in the lead had gone the wrong way and decided to continue homweward.

After the break I decided not to return to Stoke Charity with the others but to continue into Longstock and then return to Kings Worthy via Leckford and Crawley. Climbing the hill after the Leckford Hut I paused to take this picture of the Old Man's Beard and was joined by Graham who had also decided to take this route.

Old Man's Beard Adorning the Hedgerows.

As I descended to Headbourne Worthy I took this picture of my daughter's house peeping through the trees, using the telephoto setting. It is nearly a mile away.








.

.
The Maternity Ward.

As I had plenty of time I decided to take the picturesque way home through Avingdon where I saw this field with about 200 ewes in it, waiting for their lambs to be born.



My Map for the Day.
Saturday 11th January I had planned to join Darren and his merry band but I did an "Alex", failed to get up in time! It sounds as though I missed a great ride. I'm told that 18 took part. 
Of course I couldn't not go out on such a lovely day so I started late (11.30) and went to Popham Airfield for an all day breakfasr.
There was a lot of activity. Several of the planes flying had open cockpits!
This is one which I watched start up taxi and then take off.
I later had two very interesting chats with the local postman who had stopped for his breakfast too, and with one of the pilots.


Preparing for Take Off.
(Spot the other plane just landing)
On my way home I went under the  A303 just managing to keep my feet dry by walking along the side of this huge puddle!
Under the A303 near Popham Airfield.
It was the best weather we've had for cycling for ages! Sunny and not too cold
Saturday's Map.
 HAPPY CYCLING !

GRIDIRONMAN

No comments:

Post a Comment