Saturday 18 January 2014

HCMF Meet at The Sun, Bentworth and The Departure Lounge with Steve & Co.


Summary of my ride on:

Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:17 Western European Time By gridironmanbmActivity Type: Cycling Event Type: Uncategorized | Course: --Sunshine and showers, some heavy but I managed to dodge those. Strong southerly breeze.




Despite the forecast of heavy showers I decided to take my chances and ride to the meet at Bentworth. As usual for a nearby rendez-vous I opted for an indirect route, heading over the hill past Abbotstone Common and along the Candover Valley. For once I was mounted on Tiny my Giant Hybrid.

It was raining in several places and I saw a couple of rainbows but I only felt a couple of spots of rain. The Candover brook was very full and the roads were puddled in places but the riding was easy as I had a strong tail breeze.

At Axford I turned East to Herriard enjoying a spot of shortlived sunshine. Lots of finches in one area and robins singing in many places. As always plenty of rooks and jackdaws. I spotted a small bird of prey sitting on an electric pole but each time I got close it flew from one electric pole to the next, so I never got really close enough to identify it, it seemed too small to be a kestrel and I have never before seen a kestrel do this. Perhaps it was a male as they are smaller than the female.(Suggestions welcome!)

I was tempted to stop for coffee at the Gliding Club but resisted and continued past the Avenue Garden Centre to Shalden. The very rough lane into the village.and the headwind made progress a little harder but soon I was across the A339 and climbing the hill to the pub.

Janice arrived just as I was locking my bike and we discovered that there were only a modest number of other riders present. including Charles who I'd passed earlier on my ride going in the opposite direction! No doubt he had also ridden an indirect route.

It was great to chat with Janice who I'd not seen for some time and catch up with her news. However, all too soon it was time to get moving again and as we were leaving several more riders arrived from Fleet, also Don the only other rider from South Hampshire.

Wanting to visit Owen's bike shop I headed for Four Marks arriving there at a good time to shelter from the heaviest shower of rain of the day. I popped into M&S too.

Once the rain had ceased I set off for home, choosing another indirect route via Lyeway, Monkwood, West Tisted and Woodlands. I arrived home around 3 o'clock completely dry!

A very satisfying day out despite the showers.

Sunday 19th January I rode to the Departure Lounge Cafe just outside Alton to meet my Son in Law Steve with his two pals, Keith & Pete. 


It was a very good day for riding despite the bright sunshine reflecting from the road making it hard to see the puddles in places. 


Here is my route and data for the day.




Steve and Co. rode from Winchester whilst I rode a different route from Alresford. We managed to arrive at the cafe at almost the same time. 

After toasted tea cakes and tea or coffee we split and made our own ways home.

One of the joys at this time of year on sunny days is the way trees are silhouetted against the bright sky as in this picture taken near Hilltingley. 


Gridironman.



No comments:

Post a Comment