Monday 26 August 2013

Solo Ride to Wherwell, Andover and Egypt.

Sunday 25th August 2013.

Simon had suggested a ride to Hungerford on Saturday but we both had Grandfatherly Duties to perform and the weather was poor in the morning so we decided against it and I decided to ride on Sunday instead. 

I was up early intending to get away by nine o'clock but the rain that started just as I was about to go out the door made me change my plans. Instead I shampooed half of the bedroom carpet! 

However by 11 it was brightening up so I set off via Ovington and Easton to Kings Worthy to attend to my daughter's animals. One cat, one rabbit & one guineapig. Duties done I decided to try a pub I'd not been to before, The Abbot's Mitre in Chilbolton. I made good time along the A272 topping 20 mph at one point. It brought back happy memories of my first Watership Down Ride about 4 years ago, in company with Karen. I'm happy to report the temperature yesterday was about 20 degrees C warmer than on that occasion.

The pub turned out to be a big disappointment, there were only four other customers which did not augur well. I asked if they had a bar snack menu and was told they did not, but showed me the starters menu, suggesting I might like to choose a dish from that. One look at the prices was enough for me and I was off to the White Lion in Wherwell, (The pub of choice for Winchester CTC for last Wednesday's evening ride.).

Here I found a totally different scene, the bar was packed with both diners and drinkers. I enjoyed a bowl of soup and a glass of beer outside in the sunshine. 

Two cyclists from Stockbridge arrived as I was eating and we had a most pleasant chat. He was riding a somewhat dilapidated mountain bike and she was mounted on a very smart electric bike. He complained she was leaving him for dead on the hills!

As I was about to set off again I spotted two cyclists just preparing to set out for a ride. One was mounted on a BeOne bike, equipped with a triple chain ring. An unfamiliar brand but it looked really smart and the guy said he was very pleased with it.

I headed towards Andover but before I got to the A303 I turned up the very narrow Cow Plain Lane which took me to the East of Andover near to Twenty Picket.

I took the B road towards Whitchurch and after a short distance I spotted a lane signposted Longparish. A lane I'd not ridden before. I couldn't resist and discovered it was a very pleasant lane with typical Hampshire farmland interspaced with copses and for the first half mile fine looking bungalows with ample gardens.

Arriving in Longparish I decided to head back to Kings Worthy via Barton Stacey, Sutton Scotney & Egypt!

It appears that Egypt is the name of a house on the outskirts of Sutton Scotney which was the home of Dr. Charles Wickam. (I am still trying to find out who he is or was). 

From here it was a fast penultimate section to Kings Worthy where in addition to putting the animals to bed I had a nice cuppa. 

I eventually arrived home in time to see the rather frustrating end to the fifth test match and to the see the victory of Nicholas Roach in the Vuelta.

Certainly a day with a difference and not at all what I'd expected earlier in the week.


For those who are interested here is my map and data for the day.

Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment