Sunday 1 September 2013

North to Fleet then the WIR to join the Alton BBQ

What a great week I've had cycling.

First on Thursday 29th I talked Simon into one of my special rides, another Mansfield Mystery Tour.

We headed North up the Candover Valley to Axford, turned right to Ellisfield and climbed over the ridge.
Descending towards Cliddesden we turned down a very narrow and stoney lane to come out onto the A339 a mile or so from Basingstoke. We left this just short of the M3 and trundled eastwards to Mapledurwell. It was a lovely day and apart from the drone of the nearby M3 it was very peaceful.  We were successful 
in achieving my aim which was to discover some roads we'd not ridden before by crossing over the motorway and taking the A30 towards Hook. This was quite busy even though the M-way was close by so we turned once more into leafy lanes with some very smart and expensive looking houses. The village of Newnham is a joy with houses clustered round a large green. This area is much flatter but I still managed to find a few of my now famous little hills to test our aged legs. Knowing that Simon's back up vehicle with Sarah at the wheel was not available we decided it would be prudent to turn back towards home. We passed through the outskirts of Hook recrossed the M-Way and were in Odiham just at the right time for lunch. Simon's choice of The George proved to be firmly shut but after talking to a local man we ended up at the Bell in a small square by the church. Here we enjoyed a  traditional pub lunch and a pint of Riveters Ale.

Simon at The Bell, Odiham.


Odiham Church.

Suitably refreshed we took the road to Long Sutton and then up Copse Lane to crest the ridge once more. As we climbed our steepest hill of the day to our highest point of the day at about 742 feet,  a car passed us and met a Jewson's delivery truck in a very narrow spot. After much manoeuvering they managed to squeeze by with literally an inch to spare.



Our route and data for the day.


The rest of our ride was along more familiar ground but it was enlivened by yours truly picking up a flint in my rear tyre. Simon did most of the work in changing the tube. We could not find the cause so by the time I got  home I was not surprised to find the tyre had gone soft again. A closer inspection revealed a tiny flint which was so sharp I thought it was a needle. Changed the tube again ready for the main event of the week which was:-

Saturday 31st August my WIR to join the Alton CTC Barbeque.
The day was perfect for cycling and I was joined by 17 other riders for my intermediate ride. They were Karen, Sarah, Chris, Alex Coates, Caroline, Claire, Big Dave, Dave Foster, Simon Turner, Simon, Ken, Daren, Graham, Phil, John Spiers, Mike and newby Guy Morgan.

I led them via Old Alresford and up Armsworth Hill to Upper Wield. The first test for climbers and Claire's electrically assisted machine. We were soon through Bentworth and at the Avenue Garden Centre in Lasham. This was our coffee stop. I think that some of the group thought it was breakfast time judging by some of the "refuelling" choices. 

When we resumed our ride Mike left us as planned to return home. He had ridden from Twyford.

Past the Golden Pot and following the route in reverse to that taken by Simon and I on Thursday we climbed to the top of the 745 foot hill (it seems to have grown by 3 feet since Thursday). As promised the next 2 to 3 miles was nearly all downhill and we made great time to Bentley and the A31.

By now most of the riders were on unfamiliar ground and when I paused to check the map Sarah chided me that I was lost. I replied that it was I who was leading and not her! 

We crossed the A31 and climbed once more but this time quite gently to Binsted.  Everyone was keeping up well with my pace and some of the Hares were streaking on ahead, but I managed to keep control by giving limited information so we regrouped at suitable road junctions. We passed near Kingsly and through Oakhammer. Time was marching on and by 12.30 the start time for the BBQ we still had some 5 miles to cover. However I was not worried as the nature of BBQs is that all the food cannot be prepared at once.

Some of the group were complaining of feeling peckish and Chris had to have a sugar boost to help her over the next climb to Selborne. 

My plan to make them all earn their lunch worked well as they had to climb that very steep hill out of Selborne. Ride with GPS recorded it as one in ten. It seemed much steeper than that. I just hope that Chris is going to forgive me and not take me off her friends' list.

We eventually climbed another hill to arrive at Newton Valence on the dot of one. The time my mum always said was lunch time!

We were welcomed by Frank and a host of Alton CTC riders.
It was good to catch up with some I'd not seen for a while.



General view of the BBQ

Richard and David hard at work!

Diane and Mark discuss the finer points while Mark gets on with the important choices!

Another view of the diners.


Some found it a bit hot in the sun and made use of the shade.
A very big thanks indeed to the Alton group of the North Hants CTC for making us so welcome. All of our riders told me afterwards how much they had enjoyed the day.

However our ride was still not complete. John wished to get home quickly and suggested a shorter route than I had in mind. After some discussion 14 decided to come with me on a slightly extended route home whilst John and Alex took the short way.

The road after Colmore was very bad in places and needed care to navigate round the potholes and through the gravel. I must remember not to go that way again unless it is mended. (Black mark Bryce!). We climbed once more through Monkwood and headed via West Tisted into Ropley. Phil left us here to visit a friend in Fourmarks and shortly after Karen peeled off to ride home to Chandler's Ford. By the end of the day she must have ridden over 60 miles!

The group seemed to disintegrate as we rode the last few miles with Simon taking the road over White Hill to his home, Christine stopping to meet with a friend etc. I rode into town on my own to find a group waiting patiently at the top of Broad Street. 

Five of the riders accepted my offer of tea whilst the rest continued their various ways home. The five turned up at my door bearing three delicious cakes to share! 

It was a lovely end to the day sitting in my garden in the sunshine with mates reviewing the day and talking of many other things too. They all seemed reluctant to leave until I mentioned the washing up!

Thanks to all who took part for making it such a super day. I rather gather from remarks and through facebook and email that I am not alone in thinking it was a great day out with friends old and new!

I must make a special mention of thanks to John Spiers for his support and for bringing the Winchester starters to Alresford.

Our route and data for the day.


Gridironman.
Happy Cycling wherever you ride!!

No comments:

Post a Comment