Sunday 5 November 2017

Hills and Dales

A fine week of cycling starting with a short but hilly ride from Whitchurch. Then the following day a HCMF meet and then on Sunday another visit to Bishop's Waltham.


Wednesday 1st November 2017
Last of the Summer Wine.
(Three old pals having fun).


I had been cautious about riding with the pedallers in the New Forest on Tuesday as I thought that would be too tough for me, but I think it would  have been no tougher that the short ride I did from Whitchurch to Kingsclere and back with my two friends Ian and Alex The route Ian led us was it seemed nearly always going up or down, very little flat riding.


We went from Whitchurch to Laverstoke via Micheldever Road and Laverstoke Lane. We turned back towards Whitchurch but then took the hilly lanes North to Cole Henley. We headed towards Watership Down and began the 3.5 mile section, mainly up hill, to the top of the Down. It was hard work over the last half mile which was around 10%. I managed to complete the climb just in time to get this snap of my companions cresting the hill.





Panorama from the top of the down.


The descent down the steeper side was great fun despite having to slow for two horses half way down. We continued onwards first up a short pitch and then down another long hill to Echinswell. Here we discovered a  caped silver Super Bear. Ian posed with him whilst Alex minded the bikes. The message by him was a touching farewell note.



From here we headed for coffee and cake in Kingsclere. 
Next came the climb up White Hill towards Overton. It was a bit of a struggle for me with another maximum grade of 10%. They waited for me at the top and we were soon down that hill and climbing another towards Cole Henley. We returned down the lanes to Freefolk  (Laverstoke) the same way as we can ascended earlier. On an impulse I asked the other two if we could go to see the Church of St. Nicholas which was hidden behind trees to the South of us. Curiously there is also the Church of St. Mary also very near on the North side of the road which is clearly visible from the main road. We were not disappointed the tiny church is a gem, looked after by The Churches Conservation Trust. For more information and a picture visit this site:

https://www.visitchurches.org.uk/visit/church-listing/st-nicholas-freefolk.html


The last few miles were the flattest we'd ridden all day, but even there we climbed a couple more easy slopes. 
I said farewell to my pals and headed home for a refreshing hot bath. Very happy after a lovely sunny ride with pals.
Of course our day was graced by the appearance of a number of Red Kites as well as numerous pheasants who were dicing with death on the roads, but sadly didn't see any signs of Hazel, Fiver, Bigwig or any other rabbits.




Thursday 2nd November 2017

HCMF meet at The Jolly Farmer, Blacknest.

I had planned to join the group provided I felt able to after yesterday's hilly ride. I decided that it would probably be wisest to drive part of the way, to Alton, to avoid having too much climbing and a round trip of over 36 miles. This fitted in well with my need for provisions and I paid a visit to the super market on my way home. Here is the map of my ride:













When I was climbing the hill from Bentley Station I was caught by Steve and we rode together to the pub. Two other members already there Roger and Charles, two of the regulars. We were soon joined by others including Cycmon who had come by car to keep the battery charged up. (So he says). I thought the beer was rather dear and I was  a little disappointed by the food too. There was plenty of chat as always and overall I enjoyed the meeting.

I left intending to find a longer route back having only ridden 7.5 miles to the pub. As you will see from the data the flatter roads and with only one serious hill my average speed was much better. However I was pleased that I had decided not to ride the whole way from home. It sometimes wise to temper one's aspirations! 

It was a lovely day with the woods looking beautiful in the sunshine. I resisted the temptation to call at The Chocolate Frog in Oakhanger for a post lunch coffee before climbing Rhode Hill to Selbourne.  

I met three riders from Alton Cycling Club as I rode the last mile or so and we had a short chat. 

I soon loaded Paris onto Dobbin and went to get my shopping.

Sunday 5th November 2017.
Not a Gunpowder Plot! 
Just a visit to the Sweetshop In Bishop's Waltham.

At my suggestion the Alresford Groupetta decided on a Sunday trip as the weather forecast was much better than that for Saturday. In the end only three of us made it. We met at Andrew's at ten oclock. After a brief con-flab while Andrew collected his helmet and water bottle we decided that Bishops Waltham would be a good choice as we could be almost certain of coffee there. 
It was another lovely sunny morning though not many degrees above freezing. It did warm a little later but I none of us needed to remove layers!
As we climbed the hill past College Down Farm we saw a kestrel and a red kite circling right beside the road.  A few miles later another kestrel this one hovering on the wind.
There were a lot of other cyclists making the most of the weather including a large group stopped near the top of Beacon Hill. I couldn't make out where they were from as they had a real medley of jersies.
After a welcome break for C & C. Simon suggested that we should return home via Upham. This is a pleasant option to the busier Salt Lane with easier climbing. The sky was beginning to cloud  over now and there was still a keen breeze keeping us very cool.
As we neared The Milbury's we saw a motorcycle & sidecar turn into the car park so we stopped to have a look at it.
There were more  motorcycles there too. 


After inspecting them we decided to drop down the hill to The Flower Pots to enjoy a glass of their beers. We had each had a different brew. All brewed on site.

I was home just about 2 p.m. and a few minutes after I got inside the house we had a shower. Great timing!

Thanks to Andrew and Simon for their company and for going at a pace that I could manage.


Overall a most enjoyable week of cycling for me. I feel although I am still no where near my formal fitness I have been able to ride three sensible rides at a good pace. 

On Strava at the moment (There may be entries after 17:30) for our Winchester CTC group I am 20/56 on distance, 49/56 on speed and 24/56 on distance. Not bad for an Old Guy ?

More importantly than that is I have had three most enjoyable rides in good weather and lovely surroundings. That is got to be better than sitting watching TV! 

Gridironman.









































No comments:

Post a Comment