Sunday 19 November 2017

A good week for the Alresford Groupetta...


Surprisingly as the Autumn is just changing to Winter the group seems to have been more active. Here is the Leader Board for the week:


Congratulations to Cycmon for winning the TUK Award this week.

My rides were as follows:

Wednesday 14th November
LoTSW ride to Leckford Farm Shop.









Thursday 16th November.
HCMF Meet at The Phoenix, Twyford

Rode on my own to the pub. chose to go a slightly longer way Via Owslebury to test my legs over the ridge rather than using the busy route through Winchester. Found I managed quite well and was able to enjoy the views thinking I'd earned them. At the pub there was a good number of members and there was a very convivial atmosphere. I always enjoy our visits to this pub as the landlord is always very welcoming and cheerful. In fact it is a proper English pub. I had very good fish and chips.































After lunch I was joined by Cycmon for the return trip and we opted to go another "over the hills" way. Our highest point being over 500 feet. The descent to Cheriton is always exciting as we bombed down at around 30 mph, at one stage I was behind a van which was following Cycmon and I was having to brake to avoid running into the van. (I was of course in the wind shelter behind the van). Surprisingly this wasn't our fastest speed of the day which was on the sharp drop just after the climb from Morestead. 
I spotted the "duty" kite en route. Lots of Pheasants around, trying to hide from the guns we could hear firing in some areas.
In all a most enjoyable day once again.

Sunday 19th November.

To Petersfield for an All Day Breakfast.

Cycmon had been brave enough to ride with Andrew on Saturday whilst I wimped out at home enjoying the various rugby matches. (Well done England). But I persuaded him to join me for a ride on a much nicer day. We went a familiar route to Petersfield & back.
Once more spotted a kite. Perhaps I should just tell you when we don't spot one as they are now so common.
We managed just on 11 m.p.h. which I am comfortable with these days, I was riding Paris which is definitely the fastest of my bikes as long as the hills are not too steep.





I thought it was interesting to compare our ride today with one done by PinkPal a couple of weeks ago on a very similar route to Petersfield & back.
When we first started riding together some 9.5 years ago we were fairly evenly matched, though she was a little better on hills even then, as I was reminded on one of the Gridiron Audax events by a fellow cutting the hedge at the side of a hill who shouted "Keep up Dad!"
It is clear she is now far faster than me! 

I hope you have all had a good week on your own bikes and enjoy your rides on the coming one.

Gridironman.














No comments:

Post a Comment