Sunday 11 September 2016

Rides to Crofton, Abbots Ann, Kings Somborne & Conkers G.C.

I have had another fantastic week cycling with no fewer than four rides, each one different in nature.

Tuesday 6th September 2016.


Eight of us rode from Grateley to the Crofton Engine House for coffee. A very interesting destination for our ride. More details of this historic site can be found here:


It was another test of Paris and Gridironman which went well apart from there being an irritating renewal of the funny noise from the back wheel. I could find nothing loose, but suspected it to be another minor movement of a spoke when the wheel is under stress. Further investigation has indeed found this to be true. (Paris has now been to Owen's Cycles to have the spoke tightened and the wheel re-tensioned.)

The day was grey and warm, in fact as it was quite muggy we all made sure we drank plenty to replenish our fluids.

Here are my map and data for the day:




Wednesday 7th September 2016.
Another M2M reunion.



I decided to find a fresh way home from Abbots Ann and rode through Andover before taking the road towards Hurstbourne Priors. Then I followed a very picturesque road to Longparish. Very quiet.
From here I chose to retrace my steps to Stoke Charity before a loop through Micheldever and Northington to home.

Thursday 8th September 2016.




A routine kind of ride but a most enjoyable lunch with chats with a lot of my cycling pals. I was there for over an hour and a half. Home in time to see the end of stage five of the Tour of Britain.

Sunday 11th September 2016. An Alresford Groupetta ride to Conkers G.C.

With a wet day on Saturday I suggested to the Groupetta that we should have a ride on Sunday. I plotted a route which I felt would be a little challenging for most of us. I did however have a little difficulty in finding a pub that would be able to provide snacks. Many of them seem to concentrate on more formal meals on Sundays. Then PinkPal suggested a garden centre. A good idea, I quickly rejigged the route to take us to Conkers in Old Basing. We enjoyed a good lunch here in pleasant and peaceful surroundings.
Our way home included a steep hill of 9% to Ellisfield which we all managed well, with me leading all the way for a change! I took them over a couple more pitches before we reached Alresford with a great overall average moving speed of 13.2 m.p.h.
I am pleased to say that apart from two settling down pings from my back wheel it remained quiet for the rest of the day.


Thanks Pinkpal and Cycmon for your company on another good day out.

The end of the ride today.
 The cows are included especially for my brother and John Moon.
Picture courtesy of Cycmon.


Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment