Saturday 22 November 2014

Pamber Heath to Chieveley and back with Richard and David.


An unusual start to the week. On Tuesday 18th a group of my friends had a good ride in the New Forest from Poppies, Timsbury to the Alice Lisle pub in Rockford near Ringwood. It was a lovely day and I was really very sad that I was working while they were having fun. When I thought more about it I decided that I was not going to cut off myself any more from the opportunities of riding with the Pedallers Group and that I would pack in my role as volunteer in the Save the Children Shop to increase my choice of rides each week. I have worked at the shop for about 5 years so it is now time for someone else to have a go. I shall however continue with my role as treasurer for Save the Children, Alresford Group.

Thursday 20th November was a very grey day to start with fog in some places..
Simon and I had planned to join Richard and David for a ride from Pamber Heath into Berkshire. Unfortunately Simon had to opt out at the last moment due to other commitments, so I drove alone to join them at Richard's home. I got there a few minutes before 10.30 and soon the three of us set off through Silchester and headed north through Mortimer West End towards the Avon and Kennet river and canal. I was riding Posh so was a little dismayed that despite the last few days having been dry, in places the lanes were wet and muddy. (Should I have ridden Sporty?)  I managed to avoid the worst and so did not get too muddy.
We crossed the river and canal and shortly afterwards the A4, Not so busy as it was before the M4 was built but still busy enough.
Next came my nemesis a short but steep climb up Lambdens Hill. It was more than one in seven. I just had to stop and get off and walk for about 100 metres. Richard & David waited for me at the top.

A lot of the lanes in Berkshire were very rough and it was good when we came to a smoother stretch. We rode through Bradfield and Bucklebury and shortly afterwards crossed the river Pang on the footbridge beside the ford. A number of interesting birds in this area, three kites, a buzzard or two and a couple of large black birds which Richard thought might be ravens and a kestrel.

We also met this monster and felt it was wise to give way to him.



We passed under the M4 and continued northwards until we came to Hampstead Norreys. From here we turned westward over the A34. Next we turned south to the village of Chieveley where we enjoyed a nice glass of beer and some tasty bar snacks.
We had covered about 22 milesat an average speed of 11.2 mph. It had been a decent pace whilst enabling us to enjoy the countryside with its autumn colours and wildlife.

We had enjoyed a fair amount of sunshine despite the gloomy forecast but we had found the air was quite cold, about 9 to 10 deg C. It seemed to be colder after lunch but maybe that was because we'd cooled in the pub.

Now what was that lock combination?

Ah! Remembered it!

Whatever the reason I set off at a strong pace just to get warm and led for a few miles. We came to some more climbs and I was soon once more at the back, but after Hermitage and onto the ridge towards Cold Ash David set a very good pace with me on his wheel and Richard behind me.

We dropped down into the valley to Woolhampton where we crossed the A4 Bath Road again.  Next we came to the railway crossing by Midgham Station and had a break while we watched two trains pass.



Soon afterwards David left us to return to Baughurst and Richard & I continued through Aldermaston and up the hill past the AWE and back to Pamber Heath.

A very good day out with Richard and David looking after me really well with their route directions, comments on road conditions and the surrounding countryside. Thanks Guys!

Before I returned home Richard showed me his workshop complete with all kinds of lathes, drills and other equipment.I wouldn't have the faintest idea on how to use most of them! 
He also gave me a set of wheels and some other bike bits to take to Simon which i duly delivered on Friday.

Here is my map and data for the day:




 Note that thanks to David's pace setting the homeward bound sector was done at an average of 12.5 mph.
  
Gridironman.

2 comments:

  1. It was great to have you 'on board', Bryce. Look forward to doing it again in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will make sure Simon is organized next time!

      Delete