Saturday 1 November 2014

HCMF Meet at Dummer. Via Bradley, Ellisfield and Hatch Warren and Chasing the Winchester CTC Riders.




Last Sunday 26th October I managed to squeeze in another short ride to King's Worthy and return via Easton, Avington and Ovington.  Too mundane to require a map and data! However what was interesting was the comparison of the two routes, to and from KW. On the B3047 my average speed was 14.1 mph whilst the hilly route back through Easton, Avington and Ovington it was only 12.1 mph.

Thursday 30th October was another very mild day and although it started rather grey it did brighten up later so I was able to enjoy another ride, mainly on my own as my pal Simon was busy working on a bike ready for his Vets Ride on Sunday next.

I decided to reverse the route we'd ridden last time we had met at Dummer and head there via The Candover Valley, Bradley and Ellisfield. When I got to the turning for Farleigh Wallop I decided to change my route and continue down the hill to Cliddesden. here I crossed the B3046 and climbed over the ridge to Hatch Warren.

Near Sainsbury's Store I followed a cycle path into Beggarwood Park before joining the A30. I rode along that to the motorway junction and after another half a mile I was at the Queen in Dummer. 

Here I found a modest number of riders. A few from Southampton, Eastleigh and Chandlers Ford, and five from Fleet. Don and Angela from Winchester and David, Richard and Laurence from the Tadley area. Many of them had a go at my "guess my mileage" competition which is now getting underway in aid of "Forever Angels Baby Home". So far £12.90 in the pool.

After a pleasant hour or so I set off for home, but not wanting to go the shortest way I rode with Charles towards Overton. Just near the Dummer Cricket Centre Charles hit a pothole and shed both his back and front lights with a mighty clatter. I was a few metres in front and feared the worse. When I turned and found Charles himself was unscathed I felt very relieved.

Charles en route for Overton.


We crossed the A30 and soon after North Waltham I left Charles and climbed to Popham Airfield where I stopped for a coffee and to watch an aeroplane take off.  Apart from that one plane the airfield was very quiet with only a handful of folk about.



The Airfield Clubroom and Control Centre.
 My bike the only one  parked by the cabin.
I headed homeward from the Airfield via Micheldever. Just outside the village I discovered two fields in full bloom with some white flowers and a small patch of yellow. I suspect the yellow was some late oil seed rape but was mystified by the white flower; perhaps some form of brassica? Any suggestions?



The Mysterious Crop.


Unfortunately it was impossible to get into the field to get a close look. 

After passing through the village I decided to be a bit more adventurous and took the fire track through Itchen Wood. This is mainly tarmac, but for about a quarter of a mile it is a muddy and stony  track. Easily passable, though the downhill section was a tad frightening as I skidded a couple of times.
Once past that section it was only a few more miles home through Itchen Abbass.

It was very quiet in the countryside with only a couple of tractors passing me and one working in a field. I did see three buzzards and heard a couple of robins singing their little wispy song; a couple of squirrels  and a pheasant or two and sadly a dead roe deer near Preston Candover..

Sorry Simon you did not join me you would have enjoyed my unusual route. Should you wish to do it you can always follow my route. Here it is:




Saturday 1st November 2014.
I  had thought I might be able to join the Winchester CTC all day easy ride in Alresford at their coffee stop. However due to domestic necessities I was unable to do so. Fortunately just before mid day I was able to get out on my bike and I set off to follow their probable route through Medstead, Four Marks and Ropley to the Flower Pots in Cheriton expecting to catch up with them at the pub.

As I would only be doing about 20 miles I saw the ride as a training ride and challenge to get to the pub as quickly as possible. I made good time to Medstead setting a new personal best on Strava for the segment from the end of the Soke to the junction at the top of the hill in Medstead.. 
I reasoned that the most likely route was via Lymington Bottom and Lyeway and through Ropley to the Petersfield Road. I kept spotting tyre marks where there were wet patches on the road and followed these. I went along Park Lane and crossed over Old Park Road onto the steep hill of Cheriton Lane. Another cyclist in Alton Colours passed me and I heard more riders behind. I thought they were probably more Alton Riders but did not stop to check. Once over the top I made super fast time to Cheriton and arrived at the pub around 1.20 p.m. to discover no sign of the Winchester Riders. They arrived a few minutes later.
 Yes. You've guessed it, the riders who had been following me were the Winchester group who I'd managed to pass in Ropley by taking a different lane from the centre of the village to the Petersfield Road. Apparently Jenny had started to try to catch me but had been called back into the group so they did not get seperated.

It was good to see them and join them for a drink while they ate their lunch. Present in addition to Debs who was the leader for the day, were Jenny, Alex, John Spiers, Claire and Darren, Graham and new rider Robin.

Debs and her group at lunch.

As you can see from the picture we were in the marquee; having sat in the sunshine for a while we'd been driven inside by the strong cool breeze.
I left them to return home for my own lunch and got there just before 2.30. 
Map and data for the day.

Thanks Debs for a very interesting route.
Not quite the ride I'd planned last night but a very enjoyable one.

Gridironman.


No comments:

Post a Comment