Sunday 25 May 2014

Rides of exploration to South Warnborough and Hambledon.

Thursday 22nd May 2014.
I had originally planned to go to Naomi House to help in the office but Tom phoned to cancel that last night so I was free to cycle as usual on a Thursday,

When I checked the weather forecast it seemed that my best option was to get going early and aim to be back home by lunchtime.

I set off just after 9 a.m. not even being sure where I was going. I was inclined to go to the Lasham Gliding Club so headed through Bighton towards Medstead. Then I climbed Chalk Hill to Hattingley pausing to take off my waterproof jacket and inspect the vines. Took this picture of the vineyard and the threatening  rain clouds.
Vineyard.

I like the Hattingley Ridge, some nice houses and always something to look at. Today some lovely flowers in the gardens. When I got to the edge of Medstead instead of carrying on into the village I turned back to Lower Wield to have a look a closer look at that village, this was a good choice as I spotted this beautiful clematis. I believe it is a "Nellie Moser". We used to have one when we lived in Chipping Sodbury.



Nellie Moser.

Further on in Lasham village this view of a garden through the middle of a barn conversion home caught my attention.


Garden scene, Lasham Village.


I had thought of stopping for coffee at the Lasham Gliding Club as I have done many times before, but it still seemed a bit early for that, so I turned towards the Golden Pot intending to find a route to Upton Grey before turning for home. For the first time I took the main road (B3349) down the hill to South Warnborough. As I entered the village it started to rain so spotting the Village Shop & Post Office had a cafe I decided it was time to have that coffee. This turned out to be a great discovery. I had a tasty piece of bread pudding with  my coffee and chatted to the lady who served me, reminiscing about the childhood days when I used to enjoy a similar treat when popping into one of our neighbours known to me and my brothers as "Auntie Wackle". It is amazing how tastes and smells can recall very old memories.
As well as coffee and cakes they have other food, including an all day breakfast.
Apart from about 24 seats in the cafe area there are two pub style wooden tables with integrated benches outside under those two white sunshades. 

I suggest we add this rendezvous to our list of cafes. 


Village Shop & Post Office and Cafe, South Warnborough.
The rain had stopped by the time I had finished my break so I got going again heading northwards for a further mile before turning towards Upton Grey. I needed to be home before 1.30 p.m. so I took the most direct route over the hill through Herriard. Here I met my friend Norman a regular with the HCMF, on his way to the meet at North Warnborough. He gave me an inner tube that Simon had left behind at Twyford a few weeks ago. 
As I descended the hill to Axford it started to spot with rain again and I stopped to replace my rain jacket. In Preston Candover one house still has a pump going to remove spring water and further down the valley in Brown Candover there is still surface water in the fields and in a couple of places on the road. 
Here is a picture for Graham's daughter.
 A Lamb in Chilton Candover.
I was soon into Alresford and after popping the tube through Simon's letterbox I was home just after one p.m. only a little damp. Within half an hour it was pouring! A well timed ride.

My Map & Data for the day.


Sunday 25th May 2014.
Awoke  rather earlier than intended at 7 a.m. While I sipped my early morning cuppa I had the pleasure of an text exchange with my very good friend Caroline. Hmm! Am I getting the hang of this technology at last?

As on Thursday I managed  to get out on the bike early. This time just before 9 a.m. I planned to go to Hambledon and made up the route as I went along. My first goal was the Sustainability Centre Cafe. Always a nostalgic venue for me as I spent February 1953 at that location which was then H.M.S. Mercury. My route was through Woodlands, Brockwood and West Meon and then past Meon Springs Fly Fishery to Combe. from here to the cafe I took a lane I'd not ridden before. It was steep and rough at first but was easily manageable. Stopped to interview more sheep who were vying to be photographed for Miss Stanhope's delectation. Here is the winner with mum and auntie.






 Just  before reaching the cafe I was entertained by a flying model Spitfire zooming right over the me. I think controller thought it amusing to straffe a passing cyclist.

Lots of cyclists out and about, several arriving at the cafe soon after me. I chatted with two who had ridden from Southampton.
I was soon on my way again whizzed down the hill into Clanfield achieving my fastest speed of the day. I stopped to look at my map and plan my way to Hambledon and another cyclist stopped to check if i was lost. He was out training for a triathlon. He suggested a number alternative routes but mentioned a few details like traffic lights and roundabouts which were not in my plans!!

 I used the large chainring for the next few miles as the road is a steady downhill but not wanting to get involved in the afore mentioned street scene I turned along lanes to the north of Denmead to Hambledon. on my way I met these three horses. I was admiring the subtle colour of the first one when the second crossed to my side of the road to take a closer look at these strange looking chap on a bike and put his nose right into my chest! (All very friendly),. The rider told me he is very nosy!

Horses near Denmead.



Another unusual sight nearby, a field of flax (or linseed).
 A crop with several alternative uses. 

1. For its oil. 
2, To make linen
3, As a food.
Field of Flax.

It was a very steep hill down into the village of Hambledon where there was no signs of water or even any evidence of the recent flooding.
My priority was now to get home for a late lunch so I set course to Corhampton and my final test of the day, the climb of White Hill from Exton to the top of Beacon Hill. I was gratified to find I did this in my best time ever of 12 mins 42 secs. Nearly 5 minutes better than my previous best. 
I was joined for a short way by another cyclist who was out training for a charity ride from Pontypool to Brecon,
The rest of the journey was over very familiar ground and I was home about 1.15 p.m. just in time for lunch.
Here are my data and map for the day



A very good week of exploration and very lucky with the weather I enjoyed it greatly. 

I have at last managed to get a few miles ahead of my pro rata target to ride 3,000 miles in the year in aid of Forever Angels.





Gridironman,

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the excellent South Warnborough Village Shop are even happy to remain open [by arrangement] on Saturday afternoons after their normal Saturday 2pm closing time.

    ReplyDelete