Saturday 1 March 2014

Two Flood Checking Rides.


Much better weather this week and I managed to pick two of the best for my two rides.

The first on Thursday 27th February was a loop to the east and north. In Bishop's Sutton there was some spring water running along the road but not enough to cause any problems. The lanes through Ropley and into Four Marks were much as normal, a bit muddy in places and plenty of gravel and flints on the road to be avoided. 

After I crossed the A31 I decided to investigate Rumours Cafebar, one cafe I'd not visited before. It was a good decision. Not only was the cuppacino delicious but as I sat enjoying it, in walked my good friend Ray Topley, also out for a bike ride, who I'd not seen for months. We moved outside into the sunshine and had a good session of catching up with our news.

I eventually tore myself away and continued up Lymington Bottom to Medstead Village. A few large puddles and some surface water on this section as well as for the next few miles to Lower Wield, but not enough to cause any concern. My mudguards seem to deal pretty well with these sort of conditions.

Nice dry road for a spell and then I was into Preston Candover where there was still a lot of spring water on the main road. Once again easily dealt with provided passing cars don't go too fast! On the whole the drivers were very considerate.

Chilton Candover Manor Drive.

I paused at the top of the long drive which leads to Chilton Candover Manor to admire the view and I was greeted by a young lady who passed me on a smart hybrid. 

I set off in pursuit, using her as a carrot and hoping to improve my speed. She had a start of about 200 yards and I managed to narrow this to about 75 by the time she crested the hill. When I got there she was completely out of sight! I'd forgotten that in the time it took me to cover those 75 yards at 3 m.p.h she probably would have covered about 375 yards at an average of 15 mph.

I rode down the hill like a demon and just managed to catch up with her as we reached the junction with the Northington Road. Sadly she turned towards Northington while I carried on into Old Alresford and thence home.

Here are my map and data for the day. What a difference the lack of wind makes, an average of almost 12 mph instead of the 10 mph I managed on my ride to Bishop's Waltham when the wind was very strong.

Details for Thursday 27th Feb. 2014.

Saturday 1st March.
I have not yet ridden a Winchester CTC ride in 2014 because of cancellations and my family commitments and I had planned to join them today, but when I heard that the ride was to Alresford I decided to do my own thing.
Having spoken to my Pink Pal about possible plans for the day I decided to check out the lane to Tichborne. As I suspected it was still flooded very much the same as it was when I rode it  a few couple of weeks ago. 
Next I returned to the main road and headed for Easton via Ovington and Avington. Some water on the roads in places as can be seen from this picture near Avington House. 


Flooding across road near Avington House.


However the lake in front of the house did not seem a lot higher than normal:

Avington House and Lake.
Between Avington and Easton the road was closed to traffic due to other drainage works but when  I asked the workmen if I could get through on a bike they said that it was OK.

No problems in Easton so I next went to check on the situation near the King Charles in King's Worthy.

These three pictures illustrate the situation.

Lovedon Lane beside the King Charles.

The King Charles well defended from the floods by sandbags etc.

The Adjacent Field and Farm.
Although the road was closed to cars I was able to get past on the dry pavement following the guy in the red jersey just getting back onto his bike.

Having climbed the hill and taken "that road" to Stoke Charity I paused for refreshment and sat on the seat in the centre of the little roundabout and chatted to a lady who was working in her garden,

Next I explored the lanes through Wonston and Hunton where I discovered there had been many fallen trees;

Some of the many fallen trees across the river Dever.
From here I headed for home via Micheldever where I telephoned Barrie to give him a sitrep on the roads between Easton and Ovington which were on his projected route for the CTC ride,

Quite a lot of surface water in the village here but once again easily navigable. The rest of my ride was uneventful and I was home soon after 1.30 p.m. (Just as the group were starting from Winchester on there own ride to Alresford.)




Map and Data for the Day.
I enjoyed both rides immensely but I do miss my riding pals! Must remedy that soon.

Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment