Sunday 9 March 2014

Popham Airfield's Magnetic Attraction!

It seems that of late Popham Airfield has been drawing me in that direction. Maybe I just like their reasonably priced coffee and the pleasant relaxed atmosphere there. Whatever, having been there last Sunday I have been there twice more this week.

On Thursday 6th March I enjoyed a solo ride via Popham Airfield to the HCMF meet at The Queen, Dummer. I had ridden from home via my usual route up Mollie's Dismount then through The Strattons and Micheldever Station. After an interesting chat with a young man who was just about to enjoy his first flying lesson I continued through North Waltham to the meet.

Angela was already holding court with about a dozen other members. I did not stay long as I'd mislaid my wallet and thought I'd got no folding dosh. It transpired I'd hidden it in one of my inner pockets! Phew! What a relief, no need to report it lost along with credit and debit cards!

Running Water outside the Purefoy Arms.
My route home was via the flooded Candover Valley. The situation in Preston Candover was only slightly better than last Sunday but having splashed my way through the village I decided to take a closer look at the situation in the other Candover villages.

Between Preston & Chilton Candovers.









I passed the "Road Closed" sign and headed towards Chilton Candover intending to turn back if the water was too deep.

I rode through the first mini lake without getting my feet too wet and as I approached the second one I stopped to take this snap of an approaching car. When he reached me he stopped and told me he could have done a larger bow wave if he'd realised sooner I was taking a picture. 

He told me the road ahead was passable with care, being no deeper than the 6 ins in this puddle.
Notice he had kept to the shallower water on the wrong side of the road.

So I continued through the village and on into Brown Candover. Plenty of spring water here too This lorry driver enjoying making a splash.

Brown Candover awash in spring water.
I was surprised at the rate the water was running as can be seen from this shot of the water coming out of a field along the road and into the brook.
Candover Rapids.
Further along the valley near Swarraton the ground was dry enough for a farmer to be ploughing

Ploughing near Swarraton.

I was nearly home by now and I was glad to get there and remove my rather damp shoes and have a nice refreshing shower.

Here are data and map for the day.



My ride on Saturday 8th March 2014 was somewhat different.

I had ridden in to the start in Winchester and found David our leader for the day with with a large group of riders. A lot of new (to me) members, I can only name 15 out of 20. It was my first ride this year with the Winchester CTC! It was lovely to see so many friends I'd not seen for ages.

It was a lovely sunny day with many birds celebrating the arrival of spring. But we needed to discuss the route in the light of local knowledge of flodding. Also I persuaded David not to have the coffee stop in Alresford. Popham being chosen as the alternative!

Some flooding in Springvale, why else would it be named that? Then a brisk run to Stoke Charity where we regrouped. Through the north end of Micheldever and then just before Micheldever Station we found the road closed while workmen were removing a partially fallen tree. With John in the lead and the rest of us not far behind we bypassed the blockage by taking to the field. Fortunately there was no hedge.

At Popham Airfield we sat in the sunshine while chatting and enjoying our coffee, some riders indulging in a late breakfast! Suitably refreshed we headed for North Waltham. Along the way there were a number of skylarks singing. I did not spot any, it's a bit dangerous looking for them while cycling!

One of the disadvantages of cycling with such a large group is the need to help cars pass on the narrow lanes but by splitting into smaller groups and making use of passing places and other natural gaps we were managed to be considerate.

I was acting as back marker for this section as I knew the way to the Fox at Ellisfield so could sweep up any stragglers.

For a couple of reasons I decided to leave the group at Axford  heading home to Alresford via Preston Candover but his time turning up the road bypassing the rest of the valley.

Thanks David for an interesting ride and to all the others who made it fun!



By the way don't forget if you click on a picture you can see it full screen.
Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment