Thursday 13 February 2014

HCMF Meet at Warnford

Thursday 13th February 2014.
Because of this extreme weather I had not been out on my bike since Feb 2nd, but today it was dry and sunny so I thought it was time to get some more exercise and add a few miles to my total for the year.

I set off to check out some of the likely problem areas for Sunday's Early Spring 50. First I headed towards Cheriton avoiding my usual Tichborne route as I knew this would be flooded. When I got there I found the Itchen was mainly contained within its banks except for a small area near the new bridge which replaced the one washed away in the last bad floods of 2001 Here for about 40 yards there was a stream of water about 2 ins deep crossing the road. Easily manageable!

More surface water near the junction with the A272. I noticed too that the A272 towards Petersfield was closed to through traffic, so I guess the road was flooded in Bramdean. 

A mile or so further on the Source of the Itchen was discharging copious volumes across the road to a depth of about 6 ins. Surprisingly the river itself was still within its banks.

Most of the water was beautifully clear indicating that it is from springs and not run off. The usually flooded corner in Kilmeston was dry today. I headed over Beacon Hill and down the narrow lane to Exton, taking care to avoid debris in the road. More surface spring water here but not very deep. The main road (A32) to Warnford was drier than it had been 11 days ago.

When I got the the RV, the George & Falcon, I found Angela in the car park in her car and we joined Charles and Frank in the pub. Later we were pleased to welcome Bob who had walked down Beacon Hill to join us. He had in fact spotted me as I rode past him at the car park at the top of the Hill but I had not noticed him. It was good to see him out and about again. Where were all the other members of HCMF?

All too soon it was time to set off for home. I accompanied Charles, circumnavigating a very large puddle, as we headed for Wheeley Down. There was quite a strong breeze in our faces and we made slow progress up the hill and along to The Milbury's. At the top of Lane End Down we parted company with Charles heading for Owslebury while I crossed the A272 and descended Gander Down to Ovington. No problems with flooding here except I noticed just west of the village a significant puddle in the dip. Fortunately I was not going that way. I did however go through the ford, again to check it for Sumday's 50. It was higher than usual but I rode through it with no problem other than getting me feet a little splashed. The footbridge was well clear of the water. 

I was home by 2.30 p.m. just in time for a slice of pizza which my wife was just taking out of the oven.

Here are my route and data for the day.



Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment