Monday 17 February 2014

Early Spring 50 (Alresford Groupetta Variation)



Sun, 16 Feb 2014 10:15 

I left home soon after 10 a.m. to follow the course of Early Spring 50,  but I started and finished in Alresford. 

There had been some overnight frost and one or two puddles were icy but the roads were fine by this time.

The official start was at the Queen's Head, Fishers' Pond at 9.30 a.m. and I thought that by 10.15 the first riders would be coming through Alresford so I would be able to ride with some of them. My plan worked. Within a few miles I had been caught and passed by about 15 riders. I rode on the wheel of one of them for a while but as soon as we got to Armsworth Hill I could not keep up. 

Twice as I climbed I heard a woodpecker drumming, from different directions. Was it one or two?
Later I heard a green woodpecker calling. Lots of other birds about enjoying the better  weather.

Many cyclists coming the other way. Two very large groups, I estimated about 20 in one and even more in another. Plenty of solo riders and couples too. Along the way there was much evidence of the recent storms with sawn up fragments of trees littering the verges as well as complete trees lying in the woods and fields. Fortunately the roads were largely clear of debris.

More riders came by and I chatted with some, others were intent on putting in a good time and sped past. At Bentworth three riders asked me where the coffee stop was. I told them there was no official stop but they could get coffee at the Lasham Gliding Club. 

From Herriard I made good progress and as I rode into Preston Candover I was caught by Jim and we had a short discussion about the flooding in the Candover Valley. He told me that the amended route had been further amended to avoid the flooding in Brown Candover, but he did not tell me what the amendment was, so when I got to the junction turning down to the village I decided to stick to Sue's first amendment. There was certainly a lot of spring water rushing across and along the road but it was only a few inches deep and by riding on the right hand side of the road I was able to miss a lot of it. A couple of other riders had also decided to follow this route.

I must say that by the time I got to the top of Mollie's Dismount I was tempted to take the short route home which was now only a couple of miles away, but I resisted. In Itchen Stoke I was even nearer only one mile but still I was determined to carry on. 

Caroline's Ford was not much deeper than normal and I rode through it.

There had been many snowdrops along the way and I paused to to admire them and take a breather by the Bush Inn before climbing Gander Down.


The surprisingly normal looking tributary of the Itchen with snowdrop decoration. 

I met up with more riders as I climbed the down. One had had a puncture and his mates were helping by standing by and not interfering, though they did comment it was taking a long time to fix!

The last few miles to the official finish were soon covered and I was greeted by a surprised Sue as I had not entered officially. I took a break, enjoyed a pint of beer and chatted to John and Madge who were recording the finishers' times. 

Eventually I tore myself away, climbed back on the bike and headed for Alresford and home. For me this was the hardest part of the ride as I was getting tired and suffered from the burn in my thighs.

Near Upham I smelt the sweet smell of pig and as I rounded the corner I was greeted by this view of Pig City with one of the residents enjoying the sunshine.


Pig City



Only a few more miles now and I was home in 5 hrs 25 mins,Hmm! Not good enough to beat the standard allowance of 5 hrs. I blame John for chatting and that tasty refreshing pint! But Hey! I did not wimp out and take the much easier way through Alresford missing the Brown Candover floods, the hills from Totford and Abbotstone and the Ford. I covered 52 miles too.

My map for the day:


Thanks Sue, for organizing such an enjoyable ride once again, and of course to your helpers, especially John and Madge who kept me entertained at the Queen's Head.

Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment