Sunday 5 June 2016

A relatively Quiet Week.

Monday 30th May 2016.


Popped over to King's Worthy for the Fete. Took Sporty for a change and rode in "civvies" complete with cycle clips!




On my way home went to the Co-op where there is a special counter to buy stamps etc. when the PO section is shut, only to be told that they were not open!  I expect that was because it was a bank holiday.


Thursday 2nd June 2016

A must cycle day as I needed to keep tuned up for M2M. Had recovered from my day of entertaining and celebrating on Wednesday. I was late starting as I had taken Posh out with the full pannier bags to check out the fit to make sure I could get them on and off and to check that they were clear of my heels. No! I took them off before cycling via Winchester, the viaduct and up to Badgers' Farm. By Sainsbury's I took the shortcut up a private road to come out near Hansford's Bike Shop.
By the time I got to Hursley I realised it would be rather late at The Wheatsheaf in Braishfield if I went via Mardon Castle Hill, so I hightailed it along the A road through Ampfield. This also meant that I could enjoy the lovely coloured shrubs in the grounds of Hillier's. They were a little past their best but still very colourful.
At the pub I enjoyed the company of about 15 other riders and had a very interesting chat with Don about the re-branding of the CTC as Cycling UK.

Afterwards I started my return journey passing by North Baddesley church where I stopped to take pictures of the two gravestones in memory of Charles Smith, poacher. Here they are, not brilliant, but readable if you zoom in on them. Charles was executed for shooting at a game keeper.

 































I also spotted these two little pigeons nesting in the church porch.

I took one of my favourite ways home through Hiltingbury, Otterbourne and Colden Common, then up Hensting lane and that testing little hill to Owslebury. 

Had to stop and buy a bottle of water as I'd left mine at home!

What I hadn't factored in was that the strong wind was right in my face as I turned northwards towards Alresford and I found it hard work. The wind also made it a bit scary as I bombed down the A272 to Cheriton with cars passing at 60 miles an hour. When I got home I had a lovely soak in the bath with a glass of very tasty red to celebrate my day.


Wonderful!


Sunday 5th June 2016. Cycle Fun & Games in Winchester.


Joined John, Ian, Jo, Martyn, Janet, Ken and others in manning the Winchester CTC (a.k.a. Cycling UK) stall. Handing out leaflets and dispensing other information about our rides. Managed to slink off to watch a lot of the racing. A couple of outstanding performances, particularly by Georgi Pfeiffer who not only won the under 16s Girls Championship Race but also the Elite Women's Championship Race. She just rode away from the rest and no one could keep up!
My friend Harvey did well in the Men's Cat. 3 race coming about 16th which considering he had a bad crash a week ago and was riding against riders much older than himself was a great show of determination and pluck.
I greatly enjoyed the whole experience, including chatting to many of the other fans watching. As well as a lady who was cheering for her grandson in the same race as Harvey, I struck up an interesting conversation with a guy from Bournemouth with his wife and little girl. He runs his own little group, rather like our Alresford Groupetta. Here is a link to his FB page. 


I didn't think there were as many watching this year as last However the racing was every bit as exciting.

A day of great FREE entertainment!

Gridironman.


No comments:

Post a Comment