Sunday 5 October 2014

Naomi House Plains Challenge.

Last ride before the main event of the week was with Simon to the HCMF meet at the White Lion, Wherwell on Thursday 2nd October 2014. 

We had a good start to the ride as I set a new Personal Best for the segment from the eastern end of Drove Lane to the top of Mollie's Dismount. 
Simon's Raleigh.
Simon was riding his Raleigh which he has owned since he bought it as new many years ago. It is quite heavy and he found it hard work climbing the hill. But, he still led me!
Here are his comments about it.


The basic bike starts off at about 30 lbs - Raleigh frames are built with heavy gauge Reynolds tubing - probably the forerunner to 531ST or Tourist. Adding a Brooks saddle ups the weight as well, the triple chainset - even the block with its 34 large sprocket must be well over half a kilo, and yes the bag was full of wet weather gear as this is the CTC Winter bike. What many folks don't realise when they buy very lightweight bikes is that a Litre bottle filled with water weighs a Kilo or 2.2 lbs!




We had a very good ride both to the pub and back home afterwards riding some familiar routes and managing a couple of minor variations.

About two dozen members at the pub enjoying some very good food and to make the day perfect Alan Sharpen treated us all to a drink as it was a major birthday for him.

The most exciting event on the way home was when a squirrel ran across the road in front of me. He was so close that he flipped his tail over his back to avoid having it run over. Much to the relief of both of us he succeeded.

Thanks Simon for your good company on the ride.


Sunday 5th October 2014.
Drove to The Wellington Academy at Ludgershall to take part in the Naomi House Plain Cycle Challenge.
As I arrived I spotted Sarah M. who had just unloaded her bike and joined her for a coffee while we waited for the start of the 60 km route. We had a good chat about her recent holiday in Scotland before we set off at the head of the group. We almost made it to Perham Down before the faster guys started to come past. I told Sarah to carry on at her own pace and not to wait for me if I lagged.  I did manage to tag along with Sarah and a small group for about the first five miles but they gradually pulled away and by the time I got to Chute Causeway I was on my own. As I rode along the Causeway I chatted with some other riders on off road bikes who were on a different ride complete with numbers. I also rode for a short way with an elderly gentleman who was just doing his own thing.

A fast descent on the north side of the downs took us close to the Windmill at Wilton before we had to pay for the favourable gradient.  Wexcombe hill a category 4 hill of about 10%. challenged us and I managed to ride it. Near the top I stopped to take a picture of an unusual building. What is it?

Kathy Purkiss has identified this as a reservoir. 

I have tried to read the inscription over the door but can't make it out.

I was soon at the feed station and half way check point to meet Sarah just leaving. We had a brief word and then she was on her way again while I topped up my fluids and had a delicious chocolate muffin. (Thanks Elaine!) I had the opportunity to chat with other riders before I was soon underway again enjoying the much drier weather than last year when I nearly drowned! 

The rest of the ride was something of a doddle after the hills we had encountered earlier until there were two very short but very sharp hills one just before  Netheravon the other just after. I hate those hills they are worse than the one from the cantre of Tidworth to Perham Down.

Back at the Academy I just missed being able to say cheerio to Sarah as she drove away as i was emerging from the final check point. 

Sarah at the Finish .
(Well that's a much better picture than one of me!)
A great day out with a number of roads ridden I'd never ever been on before.

The route and data:



 When I checked Sarah's Garmin record i found she had completed the course in 12 mins 30 secs less than me and consequently had averaged just 1 mph faster..


Well done Sarah!


Thanks to Simon and his team for a very well run event and for his permission to include one of his pictures in my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment