Sunday 7 September 2014

Bighton with the HCMF and West Meon with the Alton CTC.

With family matters requiring more of my time I am still managing to get in some good rides. This week a total of over 60 miles in two rides. The first was on Thursday with Simon. We decided to join the HCMF at the English Partridge at Bighton. As this is only 3 miles from home I had sussed out a route which was not too demanding for Simon riding one of his vintage bikes.

We went over the hill from Old Alresford into the Candover valley at Swaraton, then through the Candovers to Axford then turned East towards Herriard. As we crossed the A339 a loud noise emanated from Simon's bike, (His Bates with curly front forks c1952). 
Simon's beautifully restored Bates .
Investigation revealed that the cable to the hub gears was hanging down, the toggle having pulled out of the hub. Simon was unable to fix the problem but fortunately was able to continue in top gear. Luckily this was much lower than my top gear of about 120 and the route back was mainly downhill.

We popped into the Lasham Gliding Club Cafe for a restorative coffee, having been suitably refreshed we continued. As we rode along the perimeter of the airfield a passenger in a passing car hurled abuse at us because we were riding quite legally and safely two abreast. The car was displaying an L plate, so presumably the passenger was the qualified driver instructing the learner how to abuse cyclists!

In Lasham village we paused to admire this lovely garden:




After the test for Simon of climbing the hill to Bentworth we took a loop to Medstead via Wield thus eliminating the climb of Trinity Hill.

We arrived at the pub to find a number of riders sitting in the sunshine whilst a smaller group were inside. As usual Simon was soon into deep conversation about his bike and the technical details. I popped inside to get the beer. (Is this a ploy of Simon's to ensure I get the drinks? I think not he is far to generous for that!)

I had a good chat with Don and others, mainly about racing in Belgium where Don competed in his youth. Meanwhile the technical discussions continued until well after 2 p.m. and then just as we were about to leave for home Mark arrived also seeking technical advice so by the time we had ridden the last three miles I sat down to a late lunch at 3 p.m.!


Our Route for Thursday.
Saturday 6th September 2014.

Simon being otherwise occupied and my being unable to join the Winchester CTC all day ride as I was busy during the morning, I decided to leave home around noon and ride to Alton to join their afternoon ride. I took a musette with a sandwich, banana and cake to eat in the park while I waited for the start of the ride.

I am not certain how many riders there were as we split into two groups, the faster group of 5 (?) led by Dan set off a few minutes before the slower group of 9 led by Richard.

Richard had planned a very interesting route to the tea stop at West Meon. He managed to convince us that the climb of Brightstone Lane was an essential part of the ride. From the top of the hill Richard led us a very winding route through many small lanes I'd ridden before but never in Richard's clever combinations. 

Here is the map for my ride for the day. Note the wriggly route between Farringdon and Privett.



We had a good tea break at the little tea room behind the village shop in West Meon and afterwards I left the Alton riders to return to Alresford via Warnford and Wheeley Down. 

Once through Cheriton I discovered the lane through Tichborne was busy with a two long streams of cars leaving the Alresford Show. Being on a cycle i was easily able to slip past the cars heading towards Cheriton and once through the village I overtook a long line of cars before crossing the ford and thence home.

A very enjoyable day with my Alton friends. Thanks to them all especially Richard for leading our group.

Gridironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment