Sunday 13 April 2014

Springtime is here!

It has been a lovely week for cycling, for the most part Sunny but cool with lots of spring flowers to enjoy.

On Thursday 10th April Simon and I joined the HCMF at the Swan, Barton Stacey. As I had animal minding duties to perform our route needed to be via Kings Worthy. Naturally as we were in no hurry we took the scenic route through Ovington and Easton to get there. Once the chores had been completed we continued via a roundabout way through Crawley, Leckford and Chilbolton. Here we paused for a break and for some photos.

Simon with one of his period bikes & Chilbolton Church.

We continued to the pub clocking up our fastest speed of the day down the hill into the village of Barton Stacey.

Service was very slow in the pub so we only had a pint and a chat for a while before calling at the next door  Village Shop for coffee and cookies. Adjacent to the shop was the local library!

On our way home we passed many fields of oil seed rape. The colours reminding me of my Aussie friends.
Green & Gold (for my Aussie Pals).
The Reading Room of Barton Stacey Library.
We also saw lots of flowering blackthorn which reminds me of my dad who always referred to it as "Blackthorn Winter" because it looks so like hoar frost.

Blackthorn Winter.

It was another great day out enjoying the countryside and the company!

Thursday's Route & Data
Because of family commitments I had had to pass my CTC leading duties on to Daren, hoping that at the last minute I might be able to join the ride anyway. However it was not to be so on Saturday 12th April 2014  I joined Simon to follow one of his planned routes to Odiham.

Dramatic Clouds

A very patient Simon
 looking after the bikes
 while I take photos.
Here is the route from which you can see Simon had made a good job of selecting some unfamiliar lanes as well as favourites.

Saturday's Route & Data.
Along the Candover Valley there was still some flooding in places where cellars are still being pumped out but it was almost back to normal. Later near The Hoddington Arms in Upton Grey there was still inches of water on the road as well as in the fields.


We had lunch outside The Bell Inn near the church in Odiham.

Next we had the toughest climbing of the day ascending to the highest point of the day. However Simon had planned for more hills and having misrouted the way to Shaldham we had a very steep climb out of the valley to rejoin the planned route in the village. However this was a benefit as we came across this lovely display of bluebells in the woods nearby.


Bluebells
 On through Bentworth to Medstead we went. Here despite Sarah's remark that I wouldn't lose Simon in his bright red outfit I managed to do just that. I had lost sight of Simon on Trinity Hill and following the Garmin route I had bypassed him near the church.
Eventually we were reunited in Bighton and completed the ride together.

I hope you enjoy the report and pictures as much as we did the two days on the bikes!

Gridironman.

1 comment:

  1. So pleased to see the photos and Simon looking good. Now finding more time myself. Hope to join you at least once this year. Keep pedalling. Paddy

    ReplyDelete